1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Simultaneously using SATA and IDE drives.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WesternActor, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesternActor

WesternActor Thread Starter

I went over to someone's apartment over the weekend to help him set up his new computer, and ran into almost no problems with it. However, when I installed his old hard drive in his new computer, I noticed something I had actually never seen before: his new hard drive was not connected via IDE, but rather a different method I wasn't aware of, which I've now learned is serial ATA. The new hard drive in his computer was connected that way, and his DVD burner was connected via the secondary IDE and running with no problems. I was able to put his old DVD drive in the computer and hook it up as the slave also on the secondary IDE with no issues, but the new computer doesn't seem to find the new hard drive, which I connected on the primary IDE using the IDE cable from his old computer. I played around in the BIOS a bit, but nothing I did could seem to get the new hard drive recognized.

Anyone have any ideas what the solution to this might be? I have a feeling it might be as simple as the jumpers on the old hard drive not being set right, since there was no diagram displaying what the settings are for master, slave, and so on, so it's possible I may have made the wrong choice. But if the secondary IDE is being used for the DVD drives and the primary hard drive is SATA, is there any reason I shouldn't be able to get the old hard drive recognized? And should the jumpers for the old hard drive be set as master, slave, or something else? And is there anything else I need to know? I'm normally very good with this type of thing, but I was just thrown off a bit by the SATA question, so I'd appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

--Matthew

2. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

I would have the DVD and old HD on primary, and the DVD burner on secondary. Is the SATA connected correctly? If you don't know how the jumpers should be set, try looking in the manual if you have one. If you don't, try taking out the jumpers, and then booting.

You may also want to flash your BIOS.

3. slawless

slawless

Do you have a SCSI device listed? Often Windows will confuse SATA for a SCSI controller or drive. Another simple point, are the proper drivers loaded? Windows XP often does not have the proper drivers for SATA devices.

Just a guess.

Steve L

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice