1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

since upgrading to windows 8 dvd drive not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbockman, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbockman

rbockman Thread Starter

My son's HP desktop, since upgrading to win 8 the dvd drive is not working or recognized in windows explorer, we know it was working before, we used it to do system recovery before running the win 8 upgrade. The dvd drive is visible in the bios. Somewhere in messing with it there was reference to error 19, and a problem in the registry. In windows explorer where I would expect to see the drive it shows drive D as recovery and it is empty.

HP Pavilion Elite m9500z PC
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    - AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 940 quad-core processor [3.0GHz]
    4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM [4x1024]- 320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    - 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, VGA, HDMI]
    - LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    - Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet

2. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Have you tried to search for and update the drivers? That could fix the issue. Also while searching for solutions to your problem I found this on the Microsoft site:

a) As per the manufacturer’s website, the drive is not compatible with Windows 7.
    HP PATA DVD+/-RW LightScribe Drive

Since it seems you are upgrading from Vista to Windows 8 and skipped Windows 7 you may not have ever seen this compatibility issue. If it is not compatible with Windows 7 then it may also not be compatible with Windows 8.

I will see if I can find if the manufacturer fixed the issue.

3. rbockman

rbockman Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, win 7 was on the machine for some time, HP updates could only be activated with Vista, so before the win 8 upgrade we reinstalled vista, ran the updates, then did the win 8 upgrade. The drive was functional in win 7. I'm not at the HP right now, but I'm pretty certain that the optical drive is identified as a TSSTCORP, maybe that is an HP brand. Thanks again.

4. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Interesting....I searched for TSSTCORP and this is what I found:

TSSTCorp is a joint venture company of Toshiba and Samsung that serves as the original equpiment manufacture (OEM) of optical storage devices for Toshiba and Samsung computers. TSSTCorp only develops and manufactures optical storage devices. CD, DVD-ROM and Blu-ray drives are types of optical storage devices that TSSTCorp produces. All Samsung and Toshiba computers are equipped with TSSTCorp optical storage devices. TSSTCorp optical storage devices utilize device drivers developed by TSSTCorp specifically for TSSTCorp optical storage devices.

Since you say your computer is a Gateway, was the drive installed when you purchased the computer or after?

5. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Once your back at the computer try to update the drivers and see if that fixes it. If not let me know. I will continue to search for more information.

6. rbockman

rbockman Thread Starter

Andrew the pc is an HP and it is stock except for a second hard drive that we added.

7. Rockon8729

Rockon8729

Ah, ok sorry got threads confused there. But still interesting since TSSTCORP is not HP either. Let me know if updating drivers works.

Have a great day!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!