1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Since Windows & Radeon Driver Updates, PC Freezing In-Game

Discussion in 'Games' started by Hermironry, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermironry

Hermironry Thread Starter

Hello,
    So the night before last my computer did its routine Windows 10 updates (and this one must've been fairly sizeable as it used a lot of our internet and took a long time). After getting home yesterday, I launched my favourite game, Rise of the Tomb Raider, but got an error saying something about the graphics drivers. I assumed the Windows update had messed with my Radeon Crimson stuff (as has happened before), so I opened the AMD settings and updated the Radeon R7 graphics drivers. The game launched and all was well, until later in the day, when I minimised the game to put a DVD in, and the monitor suddenly said that there was no signal even though the computer was still running.
    I didn't think much of this; it doesn't happen often, but my computer has been known to crash. But it happened about four more times throughout the evening. Usually about ten minutes into playing the game, it would freeze for a minute with the ambient audio files still playing, then 'no signal' on the monitor and the only fix was restarting by the power button.
    I left my computer on all day today, with just Google Chrome and the control panel open, and it's still running ten hours later so it only happens when I've the game open.
    I had a look in the reliability history thing, and it says that Windows crashed due to a 'hardware error'.
    upload_2018-6-15_17-50-46.png

Help?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. kenbok51

kenbok51

Do not allow Microsoft to update any drivers for your third party devices. More than often they are incorrect and will cause problems. Use System Restore to go back to before the Radeon update. Turn off automatic updates and go manually to the MS update site and see if you can set it to not update devices that are not Microsofts. If you can not then set it to download updates but to let you decide if they will be installed. When the updates are shown uncheck anything to do with your cards (audio video etc.).

Automatic updates can cause more problems then they claim to prevent. I prefer to turn off auto updates completely and manually update each month or so myself to see what they're up to. Critical updates and a few non critical updates should be all you really need. Use a driver cleaner like Display Driver Uninstaller
    http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html
    to clean out traces of the older drivers and replace them with drivers specifically for your graphics model from the ATI web site.

If your graphics are third party (XFX, Saphire etc.) try their site first and use their drivers for your model number unless they tell you to use ATI drivers. Often third party graphics are tweaked specifically for the changes they make to the standard or default drivers you get from the main site to get more bang for your buck with the changes they make to the devices they modify.

Hermironry likes this.
  3. Hermironry

Hermironry Thread Starter

Thank you : )
    I rolled back the Windows update, and installed an older version of the graphics drivers, and now all works properly again. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice