1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Sine Wave and Furnace

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by silverado4, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

We are going to purchase a top of the line lennox furnace, and A/C. We have a 16kw Generac Whole House Generator. The sales person asked if the generator is a "CLEAN STEADY SINE WAVE" unit. What does that mean, and does anyone know if whole house generator is this? Generac didn't know, she said it's "harmonic". What is that also? The furnace we are considering is the SLP98V by Lennox. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Yes. Your generator can produce a pretty clean sine wave along with having a low harmonic distortion. I forget at what generator size this is a given for them.

I have a 20kW Generac on my house. Had to run off of it once for 45 minutes. Had no damage or issues with any sensitive electronics.

3. silverado4

Thanks, I'm going with the EL296V, the harmonic from "generac rep" on line, is 2%, they claim also it is "clean" electricity. I just can't get a grip on the furnace is going to run more often to maintain "even" heat, yet save energy. It will also burn gas during this, and the april-air humidifier will also pull in fresh water. I'm from the old school, and can't get how it save energy by constantly running. Do you know anything about this?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

The heat won't be running the entire time. What you're talking about is having the blower motor run all the time which means air is circulating around the house all the time. The thought behind this is the constant movement of air will keep temperature differences to a minimum. Therefore when active conditioning of air is needed (heat or cooling), it will take less energy to raise or lower the overall air temperature.

There is the same discussion about air conditioning. Some may think having a large air conditioning unit which can cool a lot more than what is required for the home would save money. It actually doesn't. Because a big amount of the initial energy consumption is the spike of the compressor kicking on. If you have many of these start stop cycles versus less of them but with the A/C running longer, you're supposed to use less electricity overall.

5. silverado4

Great info, thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!