Single or Dual core for a hardcore gamer's system...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zman1764

Not sure which to pick.....

I m looking to spend about 300-400 on a processor for my next build... I can get a San Diego AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @ 2.4 ghz Socket 939 or go with an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.2 ghz...

Which would be a better choice????

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Well if your budget is $400 and gaming is your main concern then get the Athlon64 4000+, it does outperform the X2 4200+. If your budget was higger then the X2 4800+ or the FX-57 or FX-60 would be a much better choice. More and more games and applications will be coded with dual processors in mind. Quake 4 already benefits from dual cores as do many audio/video applications, and multitasking has never been better.

You should be aware that the Socket 939 platform is done, no more new processors will be made for this platform and everything will move to the new AM2 platform. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a 939 based system but you may want to wait until the AM2 arrives and drops the prices on the 939 based components. 939 is by no means dead or obsolete.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online