1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Single user security settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AlexBell, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

I setting up Windows XP Professional on my new ThinkPad T60. I am the only one who will use or have access to the computer, and do not want to have to log in or have to enter my password if I haven't used the computer for a while. I set up my desktop computer with Windows XP some time ago, so I know it can be done, but have forgotten how I did it

How do I turn these settings off so that when I boot up I can start using the computer immediately?

Regards, Alex

Regards, Alex

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Start, Run and type: control userpasswords2. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

It would be wise to password the "Administrator" account and create a separate account for yourself.

3. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

Thanks, Frank. That worked well. But it does seem familiar at all from when I set up my desktop. There must be another way going directly through user list. Anyway, thanks again.

Regards, Alex

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice