1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Single user XP setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by petef, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petef

petef Thread Starter

I have XP, and am the only user of my computer. When I boot up, I get a prompt with my user name that I must click on before the machine finishes booting. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

2. RT

RT

Just a stab at it, try Start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts
    and customize or edit as needed, disable the Guest Account

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are the only person using the computer and what to have it automatically log you on,

Start / Run / "control userpasswords2" - no quotes
    Uncheck User must enter a user name and password to use this computer

4. snappy_31

snappy_31

In XP go start, Control Panel, Users, Change the way to log on, put a check mark in the use the welcome screen
    Hope this helps
    Peter

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

This one really baffles me. I am the only user on my XP workstation and I have that box checked and it still logs me in automatically and I have no password set. I have the guest account disabled. I can set a password and it will then prompt me but as soon as I remove the password it will log me in automatically. Strange how things work differently sometimes.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It sounds like this is just what he wants to avoid and automatically log on.

Changing to the welcome screen will just show his name that he will have to click on.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Another possiblity is to download a program called TWEAKUI from Microsoft.

The one for XP is at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

They you can go to the login tab and configure it there as well for an account and password.

This might also explain the previous post's confusion. If this is configured but the password is wrong or changed, you will get prompted again.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have that box checked and I still login automatically. As far as I know, as long as it is the only account on the system and there is no password set, it should login automatically. A few other people I know have there systems setup like that (with the box checked) and it still logs in automatically.

Just seems quirky to me.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are the only user, and have no password, that is no guarantee you not be prompted for a password. This would be a terrible default security issue.

For example, if the only account were the admin account, with no password, the default setting of XP would still require you to log on.

This can be changed in several ways which are noted in previous posts. There is also a registry edit that can be made but TweakUI is an easier way to do it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/192234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice