Sirius Satellite Radio

Infidel_Kastro

Hello Everybody!! (Hello Dr. Nick):D

Anyway, got Sirius for X-Mas and wants some pointers on installing it, I have the car one that detaches, and I was looking at the instructions, and because I am mechanically challenged, wanted to know if anyone has installed one before, and whether it is time consuming and would be better left in the hands of those that know what they are doing, or should I undertake this myself, knowing that i know my limitations?:confused: :D

deh

My brother bought me Xm for Christmas along with a year subscription. SWEET. :) I am sure Sirius setup is similiar. I am using FM modulation versus the cassette adapter that Xm provided. FM modulation is set to broadcast through an unused FM channel and comes in decently clear. Right now as far as the wiring i have going through my door seam so it looks like crap. I just wanted to get it working. When it comes down to actually going through the panels in my car for a more permanent install i think i will have a friend do it.

Infidel_Kastro

deh said:
My brother bought me Xm for Christmas along with a year subscription. SWEET. :) I am sure Sirius setup is similiar. I am using FM modulation versus the cassette adapter that Xm provided. FM modulation is set to broadcast through an unused FM channel and comes in decently clear. Right now as far as the wiring i have going through my door seam so it looks like crap. I just wanted to get it working. When it comes down to actually going through the panels in my car for a more permanent install i think i will have a friend do it.
Thanks for the opinion "Joisy", but since you got XM, you don't get Stern.:(

p.s. Mine will be FM mod., how bad is the clarity?:eek:

deh

I am not going to attempt messing with my panels. I am not mechanically inclined either and i had a really bad experience with trying to run speaker wire through panels years ago. Never again.

On the clarity, So far so good. You have like 8 ( i believe) stations to choose from in the menu option. According to the manual and also seems logical you should pick a station with no radio signal or at the very least the weakest. Of all the ones i have to choose from none have absolutely no signal but i chose the weakest and seems ok. Although yesterday we had some good rain and there was a bit of interference; not enough to bother me though. I am still in the "trial and error" stage though of which station would be best to listen through.

As far as Stern i didn't plan on following and the Xm was a complete surprise. Besides Xm has O&A if i want to wander into the murk of vulgarity. ;)

did you hear Jackie on Stern?

I've XM for a few months - love it, besides the high-pitch noise that comes w/ the FM modulation. :( As to why XM over Sirius [I can't stand Stern, so that is not an issue ;) ], at the time, they seemed to have more channels, they have baseball, and more importantly hockey. Miss football, but I'd rather have the fastest game on earth vs. battles on turf. :) Circuit City did my install; new headunit, amp, speakers, wiring, etc. as I had not the time nor patience to do such myself. I got the Delphi MyFi, so can take it from the car, into the house, to work, and/or while walking. Its pretty :cool:, besides a couple quirks.

deh

yeah i did notice that high pitch squeal but thought that was only when i tried FM modulation through certain channels and thought it was only occasionaly on certain XM stations only. I could be wrong, as i said i just got it.

I haven't checked recently but unless they added more I thought XM had a better overall selection than Sirius.

Edit: as as far as America's sport (football) ;), i watch that on TV. Football was made for TV.

Infidel_Kastro

deh said:
I am not going to attempt messing with my panels. I am not mechanically inclined either and i had a really bad experience with trying to run speaker wire through panels years ago. Never again.

On the clarity, So far so good. You have like 8 ( i believe) stations to choose from in the menu option. According to the manual and also seems logical you should pick a station with no radio signal or at the very least the weakest. Of all the ones i have to choose from none have absolutely no signal but i chose the weakest and seems ok. Although yesterday we had some good rain and there was a bit of interference; not enough to bother me though. I am still in the "trial and error" stage though of which station would be best to listen through.

As far as Stern i didn't plan on following and the Xm was a complete surprise. Besides Xm has O&A if i want to wander into the murk of vulgarity. ;)

did you hear Jackie on Stern?
I didn't hear Jackie b/c I had an early meeting that day. Wanna fill in the gaps? Last thing I heard was he and Nancy got divorced, and that was about it.

deh

It was pretty good. Fortunately i had a road trip so i could listen to it. They relived old times and he basically talked about why he left. It was all amicable though. did you get to hear the last broadcast? Must admit i loved Jackie but Artie is pretty funny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online