1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sis 496 rev 49 motherboard manual??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gothix, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

I have a Sis motherboard, 496 rev 49.(486dx4 100mghz)
    I'm looking for a manual for the jumper settings to bypass the onboard video chipset.

2. pakiya

pakiya

3. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

Not so lucky. All the relevant links on that site are dead.
    Tried them yesterday with no sucess.
    Thanks again tho'.
    Any idea where to try next?

4. pakiya

pakiya

sorry dude,

No luck , i tired SIS.com but search gives me an eroror

5. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

I'd found the manufacturer of this particular mobo. However they refuse to offer any support or info as they sell this board to vendors who then modify them for whatever system they build them into.
    The real problem with this particulr system is the company who sells it i.e. NEC.
    They use phoenix bios which encrypts the bios string and masks any mobo info.
    Then they refuse to support said system and turn support over to a second party who charges exorbitant fees for old info on obsolete hardware.
    I'd obtained this computer during a trading session and it came with room full various systems and hardware.
    Just thought I'd have a go at getting it upgraded enough for some basic tasks.
    Thanks again for trying.
    I'll probably have to find someone that has experience with this particular mobo.

6. IMM

IMM

IF you can stand a 58Mb download you should probably get th99 - but for the moment you could go to http://www.eztechstuff.com/archives/th99/z/c_n.htm and browse through the old NEC boards. (I think the download has more diagrams).

Which model of NEC did you determine it to be - or is it actually a packard bell?

7. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

Yes it's a NEC. Though the motherboard does look much like many found in Packard Bell machines.
    Ran Belarc on the system and all that came up was that the board was copyrighted by Phoenix 85-94.
    Phoenix Bios as well version 4.04F 03/15/95
    CTbios came up with a chipset of Sis 496 rev49
    Susperio: SMC 665GT rev 2 found at port 3F0h
    Functionally this board performs well for it
    generation. Most other dx4s that I've had tended to clock rather lower that rated at were prone to hangs and crashes.
    I"d planned to use this machine for some basic desktop publishing and scanning, hence the need for better graphics.
    tried the last url you gave me and found a couple of file for earlier models of the ready line.
    I'll compare the info with the board in mine and see if they're similar.
    I'll try th99, many thanks for all the assistance.
    Harry

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

SIS is a chipset manufacture, they do not support any of their chipsets with consumers. They are sold to dozens of companies who then make the motherboards. Their refusal is not out of rudness but of in ability to do so.

NEC of course no longer does business in the USA, but still you will be hard pressed to find a manufacture willing or able to support 7 year old hardware. Considering that P1 computers are thrown in the trash or sold for $15~25, it maybe easier to get something just a tad newer. BTW, my SCSI card is about 7 years old - it still works as good as a brand new one.... :)

I'm, not sure what kind of OS you're planning on running on it, Win95 will be about it. Win98 will most likely over tax the hardware. Hey, I used to do DTP on a 7Mhz computer... ugh!

If you still need help, can you take a picture of the system board with a digital camera and then provide a link to where we / I can see it. I can give you an educated guess from the hundreds of 486 systems I've built.

9. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

Yes I'm running 95B on it at this time and it's running fairly quick for a DX4.
    I could yank the MB out and scan it for you, going to ask around first as this is getting to the point of consuming to much time. (I have several other MB ranging from DX4 to PII that I plan to mess around with if I can find the time to spare.)
    As for PI's for 15-25 bucks just tell me where I could buy them. Would be glad to add a few more system's to my home/business network. I run a photography business and the older systems work just fine for image editing. (though I am looking into building a PIII or P4 system for video editing. Am currently using a PII for that and it tends to be a tad slow.)
    I'm from the south Louisiana area and in this burg the computer shops take a sledgehammer to all the older trade ins rather than let them "contaminate" their market. Don't find many junked or toss off machines either.( with the lack of low cost older systems in the area most folks hold on to their's even after purchasing newer systems.)
    So if you or anyone on this board has any PI's your looking to unload drop me an e-mail with the specs and price.
    Harry

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

Well in Texas, they are all over the place... considering that a 1Ghz system sells for $430 new from any store like Best buy.

That kinda de values the older PII-PIII 400~600Mhz systems down to under $200.

A friend is selling an AMD Duron 800mhz with 40gb drive for about $250 (sans video card)

11. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

12. compilerxp

compilerxp

hmmm...

Again... very old tech. you're really not going to find any support for this product.

I've studied the image (You should buy a Digital camera, lot easier than scanning phyiscal objects) ;)

anyways... this board is labeled fairly well for a name brand product from that period. I see jumper packs for your CPU, your cache memory (Your 486 is running about 25% slower of its possible performance) - which is 0K cache. and other odds and ends.

It's almost like there isn't such an option. But I give you 3 good guesses to which jumper may work. Refernce to board1.jpg

JP9 (between the riser slot & controller chip, just north of the CPU), I'd try down.

The others two are to left of JP9. between the CPU and SIS controller. You have two jumpers not in use. Try those.

Do all the above one at a time.

Note:
    - doing the above should NOT damage your board. Taking out your Mobo was more dangerous (damage wise) than these jumpers.

- Without a manual, these are educated guesses.

- An old machine line this is really useless for todays graphic work. Todays graphics cards holds more memory than your NEC mobo can talk to. There are memory sockets on this board which will allow you to add 1mb of video (allowing 1024x768 in 16bit I think)...+

good luck...

And again, look in the phone book or www.yellow.com for computer repair shops... I'm a consultant - I got enough parts to build 2-3 computers if I wanted too... shops will have more.

Check on EBAY... type in things like "Pentium 200Mhz PC" or computer, or 133mhz, 166mhz etc.

Look at this 200Mhz computer for $20 if you buy it out-right ($28 shipping) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2039949714

note: you need to take the HD & CD-ROM drive from your old system and stick it in the above DELL... Its new enough that DELL.COM should have manuals on it or that the ON-BOARD video will auto-disable when you place a real video card in it. It even comes with USB & a Network adapter... not bad!

You have 2 days left to bid or buy outright.

----------

Here, Walmart sells computers without an OS installed:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...6:86798&sb=79&sdir=sasc&sortBySelectedIndex=1

They have linux versions too, starting at $300 (850mhz)
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3951:41937:86796:96356

13. gothix

gothix Thread Starter

Thanks for the assist. I'll try those jumper settings and see if that'll bypass the onboard video and modem.
    I'd been tinkering with it off and on the past few weeks and have gotten good results so far.(considering the machine's age.)
    I've loaded win98 and it run fine with no problems. Coincidentally when 98 was installed it updated the video drivers from 16bit to 24bit. So while the resolution is still low, 640x480, for true color it works well enough for basic desktop publishing work.
    I'm still going to try and get it to take a video card (I have several trident cards around that will work fine.) as well as a 56k winmodem card that I want to install.
    I did swap out the ram. Oddly enough it had 2 sticks of 72 pin 16meg dimm which had it running at only 16megs of total ram.
    I install 2 16 meg simm sticks that seem to be doing the job, I have a box full of ram around some where that I know has some 32 meg sticks, just have to find the time to dig it out.
    As I said before I want this machine for some simple graphic work, I have used less inregards to this type of work.(First desktop machine I had was a DX2 66mhz with only 48 megs of ram and a 460mg HD.)
    I has a pro flatbed scanner, a large plotter as well as an external removable hard drive all running off the dx2 with only win3.1 as an operating system. It was slow but unlike my later pentiums with 95 it didn't crash nearly as much.
    The boards on ebay you mentioned sound like a good deal, I'll look into them.
    I have a room full of hardware that I picked up here and there, just have to find the time to sort it all out and start putting parts together.
    I do have a Premio PIII motherboard with a PIII 433mhz cpu that I'm wanting to try building up for some basic video editing.
    I went through some of the boxes of mobo's Sunday and found a couple of PII's and several PI's, will have to research them as well.
    At any rate thanks everyone for all the info, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice