1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sister kicked me out of the Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thikr, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

A long time ago we got a wireless router for our downstairs and two "cards" which where placed in mine and my sister's computer. Well our "friend" jacked her laptop, card thingy and all and so she was lap-topless for a while. Now her father got her a relatively old lap-top and we got her a new "card" to hook her up. The Router was a Linksys "Wireless-G" Router which came with some "SiS 900-based PCI Adaptors" or something similar. Now when she connected with her new card it required a network password or something where I just typed in some letters. I remember and after I lost internet connection upstairs I was forced to type in the pass. I am sure I had it right but it did not connect. It said it was at first, connecting and then renewing the IP address, although it never completed renewing the IP. Later, after much tinkering with mine and the router connected PC's network settings it doesn't even connect (although I suspect it never really did.) Any tips?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

Name of your ISP: Comcast
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem: SB5120 Motorola "Surfboard" Modem
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router: WRT54G Linksys "Wireless G"
    Connection type: Modem/Router connected computer is wired via cable. All others connect to this computer wirelessly
    If wireless, encryption used: WPA (I THINK!) Because I was never asked for a "Network Key" before on the computer trying to connect.
    Version and patch level of Windows: XP-Pro SP2 on the wired PC, XP-Home SP2 on the non-funtional machine and Windows 2k Pro SP3(?) on my sister's computer
    The Internet Browser in use: Firefox on all computers

Exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages: None really, I just cannot connect to my wireless router, I'll try and see if I can get some that'll give you a hint to my problem.

* If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?

That's what I'm trying to avoid doing

* For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?

How do I do that?

* Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?

Via wire/cable? I don't wanna do that either... connecting by wire is useless to me.

* If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

As stated, they function normally, and AFTER they started functioning normally mine stopped functioning.

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I'll go work on it now.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I was asking you to connect with a wired connection as a diagnostic, the success or failure of operation will help us narrow down your issue.

Please follow ALL the steps, it's the best way for us to help you.

5. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

Ok, sorry, I thought you were going to say something like "Well then just use a wire stupid!" I will try however I don't think I have a wire long enough to do that, I'll get that command line message soon as well, thank you so much.

6. avisitor

avisitor

Go to http://192.168.1.1/WSecurity.htm on a working computer. You should be able to find the WEP key there. You can then reenter that key into your laptop.

7. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

Should I goto that website on the comp connected by wire or the laptop and where do I put the key into the laptop?

8. avisitor

avisitor

Either one, however, it needs to be one that has access to the network. Oh, and don't post that key here ;).

9. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

it keeps asking for some username and password.

10. avisitor

avisitor

The default username is : [leave spot blank]
    The default password is : admin

11. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

That username and pass aren't working and John, I don't think I can do the cable diagnostic seeing as how I don't have a cable for it :( sorry.

PING 206.190.60.37

Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

PING yahoo.com

Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

NBTSTAT -n

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

Local Area Connection:

Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name. . . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . . :
    Node Type. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . . : 00-12-17-8D-D7-40

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D4-B8-AE-1E

12. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

Well, due to that lack of information thus far (I'm not blaming anyone, I just have no info on what's wrong) I believe my network card may have simply failed soon after my sister connected. Therefore, I believe that getting a new network card (the same kind as my sister) should solve the problem. Anyone wanna back up/shoot down my theory?

13. avisitor

avisitor

Unlikely, but it's possible. Let's exhaust other methods before you drop the money on it because if it's something else, having a new card won't work anyway and you'll have wasted the money.

Do the ipconfig /all from a connected computer, not the problematic one.

If that password was incorrect, someone likely changed it. Ask your family if they changed it. If you've forgotten it, you'll need to factory reset the router.

14. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

Did it on the PC with the router, and also: I did a system restore to a few days ago (last time I had internet) and now when I hit "View available wireless networks" on my PC, the Linksys network now shows a padlock icon and says WPA and requires a WPA Network key? Also, it gets stuck on "Acquiring Network Address" although the little box that pops up says "Waiting for a response from the wireless router" (or something very similar.) My new ingenious theory is to change this network back to WEP or simply get rid of the Network key (because it may have changed.) Sound good?

IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Confiuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . : main
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . : hsd1.nj.comcast.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connetion-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.nj.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4D-43-8F-78
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.64.146
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 22, 2008 12:30:31 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:30:31 PM

15. thikr

thikr Thread Starter

I didn't see the rest of your post aVisitor, how do I "factory reset" my router?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice