1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sisters Broken system XP Dell reformat?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cmebirds, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cmebirds

Cmebirds Thread Starter

Please help...Sisters Broken System XP I am trying to help sis that is 200 miles away in the woods. computer, will not work right. I suspect a virus of a sort. Tried to scan w/virus protection (free downloaded one) McAfee won't install, I got Norton Internet sec. for them but it won't install, we have unistalled everything to do with virus program... unchecked hide hidden files, still will not install..... won't let them get online. we have defragged, scan disked, did restore to;....clean up disk..... so I now have them backing up files to do an application recovery OR should they just do a complete format? If so..... They are using XP system on a DELL computer. Mine is an HP. I have only done this on mine. hard to help her, never worked with a Dell. she says she has cd's with the computer when she bought it. new about 2 years I think. PLEASE where do we go next, how, and where? :eek: Thank you in advanced to all. This appears to be a great site/group.
    Sandra

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. rude

rude

Try logging in as Administrator,her user account may not have permission to install software.

You could try this:
    Start/Run Type:gpedit
    Under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components,highlite "Windows Installer",on the right pane ,right click "Prohibit user installs" and select properties.Make sure it's set to "Not Configured"

4. Cmebirds

Cmebirds Thread Starter

out of curiosity I tried this on my computer and it says "cannot find" make sure I typed correct............... ?

thank You for answering much appreciated!!!!
    Sandy

5. rude

rude

"cannot find" What?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think it's gpedit.msc ;)

7. rude

rude

I'm sorry Cmebirds,I should have read my own post.AcaCandy is right,the command you need to type into the Run box is gpedit.msc NOT gpedit

8. Cmebirds

Cmebirds Thread Starter

Thanks...... I tried typing 'gpedit.msc" that ERROR said the same thing.....(cannot find.........check typing.....), hm.. I am running XP Home . I just wanted to see where it took me so would be familiar when I called sis. I am still waiting for her to find the cd that came with her computer. I hope one did. I bought my computer last year from Best Buy, and it did not come with a recovery cd.( Win XP Home) I have been trying to find where to get it from H.P. so next time I can format my self.

9. rude

rude

Well,You my be a victim of some MMC or Group policy restriction,nothing ventured...
    nothing gained,try this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Scroll down to #296
    click on it,when the box opens,select open(or you could save it to a location of your choice in case you run into the same difficulty in the future)
    reboot

10. barnnyardd

barnnyardd

if your sis has the recovery cds and wants to do a complete restore back to the way it was when she took it out of the box new just pop in disk 1 and follow the promps.tw56 said to make a change in the bios but when i restored mine (dell 2350) i just put the cd in. maybe some dells are different. with your hp if you have a cd burner you should have gotten the option to make the recovery cds when you first setup the comp. you might still be able to but iam not sure.good luck

11. Cmebirds

Cmebirds Thread Starter

Thank You so much! I love this site...... everyone is so helpful and Intelligent (versed in computer tech.) I wish I had known this site last year!!!!. Thank You everyone for the help.

12. rude

rude

Did you fix the problem,if so how.Someone else may benefit from the info.

13. Cmebirds

Cmebirds Thread Starter

Not yet...... I am waiting for her to find the CD's that came with the puter. (Dell) I understand that H.P. does not include the disks anymore, but Dell always does. So when she finds them I guess we will try to format or re-install.
    I am absolutely game for wanting to help anyone I can. However there are so many pro's on this site! lol The links sent to me I forwarded to her and called telling her to try to get on line. I am waiting to hear back. I hope I did mention she is 200 miles north of me in the woods. I was up there last week and tried to help her.......we did get it working a little smoother. But some of the online " freebie virus protection" started with an A, would not delete. The mcAfee would not install.
    Soon as we find cd's and try I will let you know. Just talked to her she say's she has a screaming headache (frustration)
    Sandy

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice