1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Site collecting email addresses?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xfilesgurly, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

I just went on a website (The top link in Google's directory listing for "Return to OZ", hosted by angelfire) and when I clicked on a link a prompt thingy came up saying "The form will be submitted by email and your address will be visible to the recipients" Then OK and Cancel. I clicked Cancel and the page carried on loading. (Just clicked on a link, I didn't submit a form)

So... have I cancelled the site taking my main addy or has it happened anyway?

There isn't anything about it in my Sent folder, would there be?

Grrrr.

Thanks

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

If you clicked Cancel to your browser's warning, then the email wasn't sent.

This page uses a javascript called "Devious Visitor Monitor" to generate an email when you click a button, for example "Click Me To Let Me Know You Were Here." The script then requests your browser's mail client to send an email to whatever address with information about your browser, what URL you came from, and other information stored in your browser settings. The only thing this loser couldl get this way that he couldn't get from other methods is your email address.

A person who clicks on this link and allows the mail to go through is likely to get spammed. If you want to report the person running this script to his web hosting service (angelfire), and his home account (MSN) here is a copy and paste of the script from that site, showing the email address your mail would have been sent to:

< name="form1" METHOD=post action="mailto:[email protected]?SUBJECT=Devious Visitor Monitor" enctype="text/plain" onSubmit="return

Of course, it is possible that this information is being collected for perfectly harmless reasons, but anyone using a sneaky script like this is suspect from the get go.

3. Ratboy

Ratboy

xfilesgurly,

After seeing your post I sent CoupFeather52582 (Celia) an email posing as a concerned 3rd party and inquired about the pop-up form.

Here is what she said:

Later the same day she sent another message (I edited inapproprate words, as noted by #):

I just thought you would like to know.

4. xfilesgurly

xfilesgurly Thread Starter

Thanks!

I was just all *eeek* about it because I'd *never* seen that script before (3 years+ online)

Phew panic over - thanks you two.

Xfilesgurly

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Wow, Ratboy, nothing like the direct approach, I guess! :)

It certainly sounds like Celia meant no harm, but she *should have* put text with the button indicating the script would send an email. Something like:

"Clicking the button below will send me an email from your default mail address. If you do not want to send me an email, do not click."

That's all. Then, no surprises, and no one getting ticked off that their browser is suddenly trying to send email they didn't request.

If you haven't emailed her back, and intend to, please pass along the above suggestion.

6. Ratboy

Ratboy

xfilesgurly - Glad I was able to help.

Gnosisless -

I agree, it appears Celia meant no harm. I thanked her for the clarification and agreed that it was probably for the best that the script be removed completely rather than be edited.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice