Site collecting email addresses?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfilesgurly

I just went on a website (The top link in Google's directory listing for "Return to OZ", hosted by angelfire) and when I clicked on a link a prompt thingy came up saying "The form will be submitted by email and your address will be visible to the recipients" Then OK and Cancel. I clicked Cancel and the page carried on loading. (Just clicked on a link, I didn't submit a form)

So... have I cancelled the site taking my main addy or has it happened anyway?

There isn't anything about it in my Sent folder, would there be?

Grrrr.

Thanks

If you clicked Cancel to your browser's warning, then the email wasn't sent.

This page uses a javascript called "Devious Visitor Monitor" to generate an email when you click a button, for example "Click Me To Let Me Know You Were Here." The script then requests your browser's mail client to send an email to whatever address with information about your browser, what URL you came from, and other information stored in your browser settings. The only thing this loser couldl get this way that he couldn't get from other methods is your email address.

A person who clicks on this link and allows the mail to go through is likely to get spammed. If you want to report the person running this script to his web hosting service (angelfire), and his home account (MSN) here is a copy and paste of the script from that site, showing the email address your mail would have been sent to:

< name="form1" METHOD=post action="mailto:[email protected]?SUBJECT=Devious Visitor Monitor" enctype="text/plain" onSubmit="return

Of course, it is possible that this information is being collected for perfectly harmless reasons, but anyone using a sneaky script like this is suspect from the get go.

xfilesgurly,

After seeing your post I sent CoupFeather52582 (Celia) an email posing as a concerned 3rd party and inquired about the pop-up form.

Here is what she said:

I am sorry that this popup ad scared your friend.

I did not receive any information about her. I only would have if she
consented to the ad by clicking "OK". The information given to me looks
like this:

PAGE=RETURN TO OZ: The Darker Side of the Rainbow
REFERRER=http://www.attbi.com/cgi-bin/websearch?qry=Return+To+Oz&meta=rs&attrib=1
PLATFORM=Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98;
Win
9x 4.90)
LOADING_TIME=6.15 seconds
SUBMITTER=Click me to let me know you were here

In other words, all it tells me is [email protected] came to my site by
way of using an AT&T websearch, using the search key words "Return to Oz"
using Microsoft Internet Explorer backed by a Windows 98 system, and it took
little more than 6 seconds for his system to load my main page.

People who use netscape and agree to submit information always take a lot
longer to load my main page. I use this data to know how visitors are
getting to my site and how long it takes them. I know my site is graphic
heavy and takes a while to load depending on the users connection speed,
etc. I am slowly working on a redesign.

Above all other points, if you and your friend agree that it is too
intimidating that there is a pop up ad or that I know this information if my
visitors allow me to, I will take it off.

Please write back.

Gently,

Celia
Later the same day she sent another message (I edited inapproprate words, as noted by #):

I removed the codes for the pop up ad and the form submitter toward the
bottom of my page. What inspired me to do so? A user comment.

Last 5 Visitor Comments:

4. whats with the javascript email sending junk all the time you punk a## b####

Again, sorry for scaring your friend.

Gently,

Celia
I just thought you would like to know.

xfilesgurly

Thanks!

I was just all *eeek* about it because I'd *never* seen that script before (3 years+ online)

Phew panic over - thanks you two.

Xfilesgurly

Wow, Ratboy, nothing like the direct approach, I guess! :)

It certainly sounds like Celia meant no harm, but she *should have* put text with the button indicating the script would send an email. Something like:

"Clicking the button below will send me an email from your default mail address. If you do not want to send me an email, do not click."

That's all. Then, no surprises, and no one getting ticked off that their browser is suddenly trying to send email they didn't request.

If you haven't emailed her back, and intend to, please pass along the above suggestion.

xfilesgurly - Glad I was able to help.

Gnosisless -

I agree, it appears Celia meant no harm. I thanked her for the clarification and agreed that it was probably for the best that the script be removed completely rather than be edited.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online