1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Site Under Attack!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by eggplant43, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator

And while we are ignoring the Italians, I suggest we ignore the Irish as well! ;)

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I suggest this URL be viewed by all members and mods:

http://translate.google.com/transla...earch?q=*************&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=G

I used the Google translator and couldn't catch alot of their lingo.

This attack seems far from over.
    One member is aware of custom avitars at 100 posts and states he is making an effort for that goal. What weve seen appears to be a game to members of 'Arena' and they appear to be looking for sites to disrupt for sport.

3. GreenIs

GreenIs

Ah! lol:p

4. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

The link is no good, but, Mike has "weeded the garden" so to speak, so the fruits have room to grow again !! :D :D ...Rhett

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

"The link is no good, but, Mike has "weeded the garden" so to speak"

Glad to not see it!

6. GreenIs

GreenIs

Poor Bruce is embarrassed by this thread and here we are keeping it going. Poor bugger.:D Bruce you're so sweet!

Rhett good choice of words "fruits".:D

7. jimi

jimi

** grind ** 1's baaaaaaaaaaaaack

8. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten Thread Starter

Chris, thanks for your guidance. I was away when this started, and then simply didn't read your astute post about the matter. I have always valued this community, and when I saw an attack on it's integrity, and what others were doing, I simply joined in. I am now sadder but wiser. Next time I'll know what to do. If I'd thought about it I'd probably have figured it out, but I simply reacted.

9. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I have not, and refuse to, post in the "garbage" threads; I am most definately ignoring them. Before bed last night I bumped enough legitimate threads to fill Random page 1.

Let's please not all get so bloody sensitive about nationalities. Nobody is picking on Italians. Regular, respected members are fighting back against "flooders" as they are known in chat jargon. I don't give a damn if they are Italians, Canadians or Martians. Only the fact that they are flooding and with incomprehensible posts matters. Mr. Mulder said it best in one thread he closed: it's impossible for him, or any other Moderator, to moderate if he cannot understand what is being said. Let me raise a few eyebrows by saying that this is an english site. Period. For those people that cannot or will not post in English I say: go find a Forum site in the language of your choice.

I also agree with what Bruce said: lasr night the first page of Random was looking like a trash site. I believe the operators of this site and all the good members that make it happen have as much right to fight back against this flooding and keep it clean as do the new members that purposefully work towards disrupting it. In fact I say we have more rights.

I welcome with open arms any new member that makes a positive contribution to this site. Even more so, I admire and respect a person trying to learn a new language and participate in it. The best example is PVC, who lives in India and speaks better english than many North American members. But I am intelligent enough to recognize mambers who's sole purpose is to disrupt the normal functioning of this site. It is human nature that in any social group, new members undergo a period of "probation". The new member is not entirely trusted nor is he/she given full priviledges or staus until they have proven themsleves. The same thing happens here unofficially and theres not a thing that can be done about it, whether you like it or not. There is no reason why I should respect these flooders, nor welcome them here. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your personal point of view, newcomers can't be banished simply because they displease us. So let's stop critisizing each other and, instead, work together to somehow fight these unwanted newcomers.

10. valley

valley

hey Eggy......dont worry, I did the same thing. I assumed the bumping was being encouraged by all and jumped right in to help fight the good fight to protect the forum. We collectively turned into a mob! :eek: It was bad judgment, as Mulder said (I hate it when he's right!!!) but its not a big deal.....we learn, we grow, we eat some crow ;)

11. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

I don't think bumping the Random threads back to page one is/was wrong. I for one, will continue to fight as hard as I did last night, in maintaining what I know the TSG environment to be. Ignoring the threads being born out of some sort of attack, is one thing... but why should any of us sit back and just let our threads that we've grown so attached to, be tossed by the wayside? I haven't responded in any of the "foreign" threads, merely due to the fact that I don't understand them. However, I do understand blatent challenges put forth, as was the situation last night, and today. I'm with Jim ... we can fight the good fight, by keeping our Random threads on page one, as fast and as furiously as we can get them there. I peddaled my arse off last night (LOL that sounds kinda, yeah, you know ;) ) and I will do it again, should the need arise.
    Eggy and Valley.... my interpretation of Mulders message, had nothing to do with bumping our loved threads back up. I could be wrong... :rolleyes: lol I've been wrong a time or two, but I don't think I am in this scenario. By bumping threads back up, you're doing two things... a) appearing as if you're ignoring the attacks... b) keeping Random the way we've all become so fond of. :)
    That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it! :D

12. eggplant43

eggplant43 A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your support and understanding, I feel better now.

Jim, I can certainly understand your position. They came into our "schoolyard" and started a turf war, and there's no way they were going to win!

However, in looking at the big picture, two things come to mind;

1. This is ultimately Mike's playground, he created it, he owns it, and he can take all his marbles and go home whenever he wants. So we all have motivation to "play nice", and not cause his involvement here to be a burden.

2. Internally, we understood what was going on. A number of regulars got on the band wagon and fought the good fight. Externally however, I'm sure it wasn't understandable at all, it was just so much craziness, and we may have lost some that will never return. I think it important to keep that in mind.

I love this place, and love it's dynamism, caring participation and help, and the general "attitude" of the place. I think we "present" better ignoring the interlopers, than fighting them, So that's how I'll choose to react the next time, if there is one. As we get bigger, we present a bigger target, so our reactions can really make a difference.

That's my $.02 worth.

13. Shadow Bea

Shadow Bea Cherished forever in our hearts

Oh My God:mad: :eek:

forget *bump* I'd like to do a little grinding into powder!:mad:
    I wouldn't dignify their site with a visit though.. Like Angel said..
    ignore the ignoramuses! (not a direct quote Angel) isn't that some form of stalking though??

14. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

15. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Randy: Permalous is Italian for "easily offended or angered". That's none of us! :) Take care. angel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice