1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Site with information on deciphering userenv.log?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angel, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

Just curious if anyone knows of any sites that may have some detailed listings or information on deciphering information in the userenv.log file?
    Such as
    MyGetUserName: GetUserNameEx failed with 1753
    MyGetUserName: Retrying call to GetUserNameEx in 1/2 second.
    {repeat}
    GetUserGuid: Failed to get user guid with 1753

I've found a few references online to this problem but the suggested resolutions haven't worked. ei. removing and readding to the 2000 domain, etc.
    The prob is that it takes 15 minutes to login to the domain where everything then works fine. This is 2000 pro - none of the NT boxes at this location have any probs. The odd thing is that this computer didn't used to have this problem until it was moved.

2. angel

angel Thread Starter

Additional information...
    I've tried even renaming the computer. Computer account is added and DNS is updated accordingly but still weird errors...

In addition to the information above that exists in the userenv.log file, Event viewer on the workstation is logging the following when computer starts up:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5789
    Date: 5/26/2004
    Time: 10:46:01 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: computer
    Description:
    Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated value was 'computer.domain.com'. The following error occurred:
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

and

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5788
    Date: 5/26/2004
    Time: 10:46:01 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: computer
    Description:
    Attempt to update HOST Service Principal Names (SPNs) of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated values were '<UNAVAILABLE>' and '<UNAVAILABLE>'. The following error occurred:
    There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

As before, it takes 15 minutes for the domain login and then all is fine.

3. angel

angel Thread Starter

Ok, after troubleshooting all day, everything pretty much looks good except one which actually makes sense since there were no probs before moving this box to another site outside the firewall. And, apparently, this wouldn't affect the NT boxes that are not having any probs. Per Microsoft:
    So, I'm putting my question on hold for now until I try this.

4. angel

angel Thread Starter

Just as an update - probably more for myself!

Opening those ports from workstation to dc did the trick. Now I just have to see if there's a way to specify which ports it uses so they all don't have to be open.

5. saveunder

saveunder

Hi!
    Did anybody find a solution to this topic ? Opening so many ports on a firewall is not that good.....

Stefan

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!