skt478 Celeron 2Ghz vs. P4 2Ghz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

paulb100

I upgrading an old Packard Bell iMedia for my mother - ive stuck another stick of 512Mb in to give total of 768Mb and its much better but the proccessing lacks a bit - i can see even in web page rendering appears to be slower than my laptop on wifi (ive TCP optimized it and optimized firefox - its not the internet can download at 1.3MB/s and 29ms pings)

im pushed to think its the poor processing of the 2Ghz celeron with only 128k L2-Cache -
now the mobo supports upto P4 2.4Ghz \ 400Mhz \ 512k but i can only find 2Ghz \ 400Mhz \ 512K on ebay so this means that the chip will be same speed but have 512K L2-Cache (four-times more onboard memory) for only £10

is it worth making the swap?

thanks

478 CPUs seem to be quite expensive per GHz*L2, and if you're getting one for 10 £, you propably should get that. No point spending more on an age-old system. ;)

paulb100

accordin to PB support it only takes upto 2.4Ghz but ive been told the FSB of the CPU i use MUST be 400Mhz i cant get a 533 or 800 which are readily available on ebay for next to nothing - anything over 2Ghz in P4/400Mhz/478 is just none existent on eBay (surprising|) - ive found a 2Ghz for £7.50...

the motherboard is a Gigabyte

thanks

Might consider a new MB that can take the old memory and stuff? Or just stick to the 7.5 £ CPU, and after that some day make bigger upgrade or just get a new system.
BTW: what graphics card does it have?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=SL6PP&category0=

There are a few not many and they want a good chunk of change for them. The thing you are looking for is if it is a Northwood CPU. If the system board is a standard ATX or Micro ATX then just get a new CPU/RAM/system board. There are plenty of good deals out there that would give you WAY more bang for the buck. But as I said Packard Bell has been known to use a proprietary system board. If you can't replace the system board then Look for Northwood CPUs and get the 2.4 if you can find it. There are faster ones but if the BIOS doesn't recognize it then it is a crap shoot as to if the CPU will work.

paulb100

the thing is we got the tower for nothing and its just to get my mother online - thats all

so no BIG spends cos she unemployed and skint basically

- no games or graphics card (onboard SiS 64Mb)
now it seems not-so bad as is but web page rendering is slow and it cant be related to the hard-drive - so i can only think its the CPU or bus speeds on memory not good cos the 512Mb stick i put in is 400Mhz and the board only supports 333Mhz (thats what the other 256 is..) dunno if it could be that bringing the memory speed down to 166Mhz or summit??? i mean i can download at 1.3MB/s and 29ms pings (O2 16Mb) its just the pages dont load as fast as they can cos theyre fast on my laptop on wifi and this is on 100Mbps LAN - ive TCP optimized it AND optimized firfox with pipelining and no paint delay - on my wifi laptop pages load in 1-2 secs but on this it takes 3-7 secs

Im thinking its related to the processor..?!

OH no thought that was already set. If its running 333 then you are about as far as you can go with it before having to spend a good chunk on it.

panicrooster

Banned
You are better off looking at optimizing than spending one dime and any headache messing with it. Simple things like lowering the amount of start up programs and lowering the background processes will make a bigger difference than a tiny bit more L2. THe L2 cache makes a difference but not that much as compared to upgrading to a 4mb L2 cache. Also, better make sure the bios can handle the P4 as well. Focus on the Windows itself and you will get better results.

paulb100

I have stripped it to its bones mate - with AV running only its 22 processes

HD Tune reports the Hard-drive is operating in mode 5 ATA100 but can support mode 6 ATA133 - ive swapped the 6 year old IDE cable for a new one and now HD-Tune says its operating in mode 2 ATA33 ????

the mobo does support P4 upto 2.4Ghz/400fsb/512k

EDIT: also isnt Pentium 4 a complete different architechture or build than Celeron? or do they just keep making the same chips but give it more L2-Cache and call it a Pentium 4? i thought perhaps a 2Ghz P4 with 512k compared to a Celeron 2Ghz with 128K would be quite a diff

panicrooster

Banned
Honestly I've been out of the Celeron and P4 loop for awhile now but I'm pretty sure they use different architecture and although the socket will fit both, the bios on that board might not. I'm mostly unsure of the bios installed on that older board designated for a Celeron that is actually really old and well before P4 ever came out. You really won't see that much of a difference and no matter what you upgrade or time you spend on that pc, it's still going to be older and waiting for something to fail. I understand not wanting to invest much into or desire buying a new one, but I do not see it making any remarkable difference installing the P4 2.4g just to get a tiny bit of L2 that's less than a 0.4mb L2 difference of an upgrade.

It's the same (netburst) architecture. If i'm not mistaken then the cache is the main if not the only difference though i tend to think that a jump from 128kb to 512kb l2 cache is quite substantial and certainly worth that ten quid.

dustyjay

Jay
If you swapped out the IDE cable, make sure the new cable is an 80 conductor 40 pin connector instead of a 40 conductor 40 pin connector cable. This will make a difference in your hard drive speed.

panicrooster

Banned
Well, I think you are right on the architecture, I was thinking about all of the major changes they had over the early years. It might be worth ten quid and I'm not arguing the price, just hassle for a tiny little difference in L2 that you could probably not notice a difference even under hardcore testing. You are really better seeing if you can OC that Celeron. Now, THAT would be substantial. Check your bios on that bad boy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online