1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sky engineer messing up TV setup (help)

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dmurfitt, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry for posting this in 'Multimedia', but I wasn't sure where else it might go. Our Sky unit went wrong, so a Sky engineer came out (friendly chap) and replaced the decoder. However, when you press the ‘Sky’ button on the Sky remote now the TV doesn’t switch to SCART anymore. How can I get this working again? Everything’s working fine, apart from the fact the TV won’t switch to SCART when you turn the decoder on. You now have to use the TV remote to enable Sky. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    Dan

2. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Did he replace the remote control for the sky unit as well? Perhaps you have to reprogram the sky remote to work with the TV. The manual for the decoder box should have a list of codes to program the sky remote to work with your tv.

It's not difficult but the service guy should have done this for you.

3. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

No, it's not that. WHen you used to turn Sky on, the SCART signal used to switch the TV over to SCART, but it's not now. This is a feature you can enable in the Sky services setup, but it's not working. I think it's wired up incorrectly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan

4. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Oh I see, It's the other way around, what is the make/model # of your sky receiver?

5. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

The Decoder is an Amstrad DV3. The remote is all working fine with both the TV and the decoder, the problem seems to be with the AUTO AV SCART switch thing.

Just checked it all. I unplugged everything, and made sure that the bit that says 'TV' on the back of the Sky Decoder went into the AV1 on the TV, and plugged all the other SCARTs into the correct plugs. It's weird because when you turn the DVD player on the TV switches over, but not when you turn the Sky unit on. I turned the Auto SCART off then on again in the Sky service settings but it's still not working. The best I can get is if you press 'TV' and then 'Help' on the Sky remote it switches to the AV on the TV, which is better than having two remote controls. Any more ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Dan

6. PhilinNZ

PhilinNZ

Hi Dan,
    I just did this on my parents TV.
    Basically you need to tell the SKY control which channel to turn the TV to when you press the SKY button.
    As it's a SCART switch you need, you probably need to press the "AV" button or something, which your sky remote doesn't appear to have, but you can!
    Try this first.....press TV on the remote, then press the "help" button and see if this changes to the sky channel - if not, try "i" or one of the colour buttons. Once you find which one works (there should be one) do the following...
    Press TV
    Press and hold GREEN and SELECT for about 2 seconds until the LEDs on the remote flash a couple of times.
    Then press the button that worked (i.e. HELP)
    Then press Select

That should do it....give it a try

Hope that works
    Phil

7. dmurfitt

dmurfitt Thread Starter

Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for your help, I managed to stumble across this little gem a little while ago actually, and it's what we're doing at the moment. But what used to happen was, as soon as the TV detected a SCART signal it would switch over to SCART 1 or 2 automatically. It works for the DVD, so if you turn the DVD player on the TV automatically switches over to the SCART 2, but for Sky you have to manually change (this didn't happen before the decoder was changed). I have made sure the SCART on setting is set to on within the Sky services menu, but no luck. I think the problem is with the decoder, but I don't know how to sort it (because we all know how helpful Sky Customer Services are.... "Are you sitting in front of the TV? Press Services, Press 4....blah blah") lol.

Any more ideas mate? Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it! :)
    Dan

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice