1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SkyDrive backup questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by areid, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. areid

areid Thread Starter

I have set-up a SkyDrive account to use as an off-site backup so when I have finished a day's work I copy changed files (eg. from c:\myfiles\) to my SkyDrive folder (mapped to S: ), which then synchronises the files with the 'cloud' versions. I never modify files directly within S:.

Questions:
    1. When a file is overwritten in the SkyDrive folder, does the synchronisation re-send the whole file, or only the changed parts of the file (ie. is it a full or incremental update?)
    2. When I see files in the SkyDrive folder as S:\ in Windows Explorer, are they duplicates of the original files (eg. copied from c:\myfiles\) or just a reference to the original for syncing with the 'cloud' versions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What is S:\ mapped to? How exactly do you have this set up?

Assuming SkyDrive functions like every other cloud / sync service, when a file is changed, the entire thing is uploaded. Those apps do not have the ability to crack open your Word, Excel, movie, or music file and determine the individual bit-level differences. A change is a new file.

3. areid

areid Thread Starter

Hi DoubleHelix, thanks for the reply.

S: is currently mapped to my SkyDrive folder at C:\users\alan\skydrive\. When I backup, all changed files are copied to S:, from where they are synced with the on-line versions.

Regarding updating complete files - I understand that IDrive, DropBox and SquirrelSave do bit-wise rather than complete file updates.

Regards,
    Alan

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why do you have a drive letter mapped to a folder on your hard drive. I'm sure it works, but I don't see the point.

If you have files in C:\MyFiles\, and you copy them to C:\users\alan\skydrive\, obviously you have 2 copies.

News to me. Where did you find this info?

5. areid

areid Thread Starter

It's an old habit - I have always designated my main backup drive as S: (easier to remember than the full path) so it made sense to keep the convention even when backing-up to SkyDrive

That's what I suspected - I was hoping for a way to avoid duplicating files on my hard-drive

SquirrelSave - http://www.squirrelsave.co.uk/howitworks.php
    "Data transfer. All data is securely encrypted before being transferred using SSH with 256 bit AES encryption. In order to avoid using too much bandwidth, we also only send the bits of the files that have changed."

IDrive - from an email to me from the support team
    "IDrive for Windows application is designed to perform first backup(of any file) as full backup and the subsequent backups are incremental. This means that it transfers only the modified portions while backing up an already backed up file."

DropBox - can't find the reference at present, but I recall reading somewhere that it updates changes only. I've emailed the support team for confirmation.

Regards,
    Alan

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice