skype and microsoft essentials

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

technomum

I have recently changed from AVG to Microsoft essentials virus protection and now Skype won't open - I am pretty sure this must be connected somehow. I have tried uninstalling Skype and re-installing but it just won't open. It has been listed as an exception to blocking in Windows Defender so I can't think why else it would stop working after years of being ok. Any help would be appreciated.

Try uninstalling Windows Defender. It's not recommened for use with MSE, in fact MSE will normally disable it. No other AV should be used if MSE is installed.

technomum

Thanks, especially for the quick response, and I will try that, though I have managed a way round it for the moment by uninstalling Skype and installing an earlier version (don't understand it but it works again) but it is useful to know that Defender isn't supposed to be installed as well as Essentials.

but it is useful to know that Defender isn't supposed to be installed as well as Essentials.
Yes, that is good advice. Furthermore, on Vista and Win7, it is not possible to uninstall Windows Defender so disabling is sufficient. The MSE install is supposed to do that disabling but it doesn't always.

You may yet have an issue with Skype.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts