1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

skype for linux livedvd

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by skipperxyz, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skipperxyz

skipperxyz Thread Starter

Hello. I am trying to setup skype for linux using a livedvd, but when i click on the downloaded skype file, I only get a "skype-for-linux-64 -read-only" file. I imagine that is worthless since it is read-only. Either way, I am not able to set up skype for linux on the livedvd.

Is it possible to set up skype for linux on a live dvd?

Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Since the DVD is written, no.
    If you want to install anything on a live linux distro, you should use a USB stick. (Create your live distro on the stick not on a DVD). You can then set it up with persistence and anything you want to install will be written to the persistence folder on the live USB stick.

I haven't used a DVD for a live distro for years for that reason. Nothing is saved so every time you boot it up, you'd have to re-do all the tweaks, re-do the browser settings and you lose your bookmarks.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I beg to differ, even though I've never installed Skype on a Live DVD Puppy Linux.

A search does imply it's doable on a Puppy DVD. ( Puppy Linux + Skype )
    One of our members posted this at another site:
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110678

And then there is this
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2252798

How this works with other Live DVD/CD s would have to be further addressed.

I am puzzled why there are so many that have issues with persistence and Puppy.
    As long as DVD-R disks are used, I haven't had any problems with persistence.
    I use Tahr and Xenial Puppy.
    DVD+R isn't supported. Won't even work if imaging is tried during a Puppy session, but if imaged in a Windows session, a DVD+R winds up closed and no persistence.
    With USB Puppy installs, persistence has also worked for me.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I can't get persitence to work in Puppy on a USB stick. Believe me I've tried more than once and with different versions of puppy.
    Since it works so well in other flavors of linux, I gave up on using puppy.

The OP has not posted what distro he is using.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John

I took it as a general question.
    Until the OP returns, not much more to add. Not much more I could add anyway.

As far as Puppy and persistence, I burn to DVDs using the Puppy app 'Burniso2cd'
    For usb flash drives, I use Rufus on a Windows 7 platform.

I just did a fresh Xenialpup 7.5 to usb. On first boot and shutdown, I get the window to save and that leads to sizing the save file. Same with Tahr.
    So far, has worked as advertised with both Tahr and Xenial.
    Not tried it with SlackO.

I've had my issues with other distros and usb, though.
    I've seen unetbootin complain about not having the proper syslinx version when used on my Puppy platform, and Rufus not having several necessary files when used under Win 7.

:D oh well .

6. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike

It's not 'persistence' on a Puppy USB, Liz. You create either a 'save-file' or a 'save-folder'.....and you can hardly get it wrong, since you're prompted to create it at the end of your first session afer install.

You've mentioned you've had problems with this before. I'm guessing that your major problem is that you tell it to use ext4 for the save-file/folder, yes?

BIG 'no-no' with Puppy. You use ext3 instead. Then you should have no problems whatsoever....

Puppy and ext4 do not play well together. Just another of Pup's little 'quirks'!

Mike. ;)

7. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Thanks Mike.
    Good to know.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't install live distros. That's the point of running live - no install.
    Other distros create a persistence folder on my live (no install) USB sticks so I'll stick with them.

9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Hi Liz :)

How can an os boot if it isn't installed on some sort of storage device?

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try Easy2Boot, it works with Puppy and you can make it persistent.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    John, I don't consider writing an ISO to a USB stick or DVD as installing. Clearly others think the same as me because when I boot up a live distro, there is usually an install icon on the desktop which I could choose to install to internal storage of the device I'm using.

Thanks Allan but I've given up on Puppy. I've found several distros that I like.

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Just saying.....the distros of Puppy I'm familiar with have an 'instal' icon, but opened up it's to 'install Puppy to some other media'

( :D )

But hey, if you like something else better, that's all good too :)

But for anyone reading the thread and interested in Puppy, it is information that Puppy has Persistence available in both Live DVD and Live USB versions. :)

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, no worries.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice