1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SKYPE - free voip conferencing-but safe??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cory79, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cory79

cory79 Thread Starter

Hello
    I am an admin for a small company of 60 users and the "Big Wig" recently discovered Skype which he uses for personal use. I was told to download this free software on all of our PC's. Since I never just go out and download something that I don't have any knowledge of I checked out the website. From what I gathered this is a P2P software. I did some more digging around and am getting conflicting information about the security of this software. We do have a firewall, anti-spyware, anti-virus ect... but I still do not feel like this is a safe product to use on a business network. What do you guys think?? I would love any and all advice. Thanks in advance for any help.:)

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi cory79.

I don't use Skype, but I was involved in a discussion here at TSG over it because it is p2p .
    I found that Skype goes through a firewall without being challenged. Essentially it bypasses detection.
    That seems like a weakness for security and in a business setting, I'd be darned sure it's not an important issue.
    There also seems to be some issue about Skype reading and storing the Bios info and Motherboard ID

This was the thread:
    http://forums.techguy.org/civilized-debate/666251-confused.html

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I know alot of businesses are using it to save money on their phone bills. Instead of making a phone call to one of their Regional offices, they just call them over Skype. I thought everyone would have known about Skype by now. The latest thing I am looking into though is the MagicJack.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Squashman,

MagicJack only works on Windows (and maybe Mac), not on Linux to date.

The company offering MagicJack are their own CLEC, so in fact you communicate over their network.

Looks to be good for students away at college, etc. - you remember, call home for $$$ and save $$$ on the call! :)

-- Tom

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Interesting. I have found, from my own experience, that Skype does require authorization to go thru a firewall. I hadn't followed the exchanges in detail so I found the article very interesting, but the basis of it seems correct: if you have a firewall that challenges outgoing packets, then it'll require authorization (either explicitly or via a permanent rule) when you initiate the Skype call, but not thereafter. (One of the problems is that some of the most common firewalls 'help' the user by being pre-configured with permanent rules which allow whatever programs the firewall manufacturer deems safe, sometimes in response to payment by the program manufacturer. I vastly prefer a firewall that either starts totally blank or, minimum I find acceptable, searches my drives for programs it thinks is safe & lets me approve or disapprove the list.)

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

My friend sent one to his son who is stationed over seas. Saving them a ton of money on phone bills.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice