1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Skype on laptop or desktop not displaying correctly....LOST

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bj nick, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have used Skype previously w/zero problems, but it's been three years. Today I've uninstalled/downloaded Skype twice, on each computer (desktop w/Windowns 7, laptop inspiron w/Windows 10), w/the same result: My screen on both laptop and desktop does not look like the one I'm supposed to have; I guess it's the "HOME" screen.

Watched a few YouTube how-to's, and their screen shows a regular desktop app, with the usual options across the top (file, options, tools, etc.) plus different options along the left than I have. I DO NOT HAVE those options....I cannot make a call! What I see is: in the middle of the screen, Welcome, (my name) and below that, "Start a conversation." (YES, I'm signed in w/my account.) Along the left the only options are: chat, call, contacts, notifications. The "contacts" are the test audio icon, plus a handful of people I've never heard of.

Can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing the "right" desktop screen and having all these difficulties?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The screen showing strangers in contacts, are you using your MS Account to sign into Windows 10? Then your MS Account has been hacked. Or your Outlook.com account has been hacked. Unless you have given your account password to somebody else to use, like your spouse. Compromised info could include "emails, contacts, and photos from Outlook.com and OneDrive. It could also include your health data if you have connected services like HealthVault." (from https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/10494/microsoft-account-how-to-access-a-compromised-account )

MS has a site for helping people recover from hacked accounts. Perform ALL STEPS IN SEQUENCE. https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...n-hacked-35993ac5-ac2f-494e-aacb-5232dda453d8

MS has yet another site to help you protect your account. https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-account-a4f20fc5-4307-4ece-8231-6d4d4bd8a9ba

IF you suspect or discover that the hack is deeper than just your Outlook account, it is possible that both your Win 7 and Win 10 machines have both been hacked. I would backup all data and reformat and reinstall Windows on both machines.

Windows 10 will not show video capabilities if your privacy settings forbid Camera. Go to Settings > Privacy > Camera. Enable it. And Allow certain apps to access your camera. Include Skype.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you! A lot there. I found skype live chat and they straightened me out. First of all, the Skype screen I was seeing on all the YouTube how-to's was the old Skype; now it's cloud-based so yeah, it looks different. And the getting hacked thing--we changed the password on my old account and they buried it; made it invisible to everyone. Even if someone located it, the password is now safe. I have a new account with a secure password so I'm good to go. Much appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice