Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skype/Zoom cost for usage time?

400 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
My understanding is that both Zoom and Skype are free downloads, correct?
How about charges for usage time?

#2 ·
There is no charge for free Zoom accounts, but it’s limited to 100 participants for a meeting and 40 minutes if a meeting has 3 or more participants. You also don’t get to use most of the features.

Skype is free to other Skype users, but I think Skype usage is lower now Zoom is preferred.

#3 ·
I'm not sure about the 40 minute rule with 3 or more participants. My husband is on our City's Zoning Board. Because of the pandemic, all his Zoning Hearings have been through Zoom since March.
The meeting this past Wednesday was well over 2 hours and had more than 3 participants. There are 5 members of the Zoning Board, the Zoning Administrator, lawyers for both the Zoning Board and the people coming before the Board.
Someone probably foots the bill but my husband as a participant never paid for a Zoom session.

My husband and I are also on the Board of a small Credit Union. We've had Zoom meetings several months. Again there are more than 3 participants (9 Board members, 2 Supervisory Committee members, 1 or 2 attorneys and 1 person from our Financial group) and the meetings last longer than 40 minutes. If I had to guess between 1 hour and 2 1/2 hours depending on what needs discussion and approval, Again as participants we have never paid. (One of our attorneys set up the Zoom Meeting. If there was a cost, he probably billed the Credit Union. We approve the monthly bills but don't see a breakdown of dates and times for the attorneys bills.) Again, there is no cost if you are a participant.

I don't use a computer to connect. I have the Zoom app on my phone and on my 10" android tablet. I also don't have a Zoom account. I either put in the ID and password or click a link, sent through email, to join a meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.