1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SkypeApp.exe - where does this come from??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by OM2, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

There's others as well.
    SkypeDesktop or something.
    On my other laptop I've seen things like 'Phone ...', I forget what it's called.

Where the heck does Skype come from???
    Why is it using ANY of my resources?
    Is it a vital component of Windows 10 - without which would make the system crumble??

I've looked up the names of the other services - they are genuine ones part of the system.
    I don't want them there!!!

Skype: is NOT in my Startup process list - if it is... it's disabled.
    But it STILL shows up!!

Acronis!! Heck that's another one!! I REMOVED from it starting up...
    But then I find it STILL running somehow.
    I kill it. 1 hour later its back.

Apart from making some code to delete unwanted... what can I do?

Thanks.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you go to Start button > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features. You will see All of the Windows applications, built-in or user-installed. From there, you can uninstall them.

Acronis is a hard drive image program, it is used for backup. If you did not install it, then probably somebody who looks after your machine did. It is capable of scheduled backups I think, I am not sure, I don't use that one.

Skype is a video messaging app. Like the long predicted video phone concept from ages ago. Comes with Windows 10. Of course you need a microphone headset and a web camera attached to your pc to use this.

Note that Windows' built-in apps cannot be permanently removed from the hard drive, the uninstall button only removes it from the current account. This is so that other user accounts can still install them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice