1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sla

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 24giovanni, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned Thread Starter

Just curious if someone asked you what was your SLA (I know what it stands for so no need to answer that), how you whould answer that? I appreciate any answers.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If someone asked me what my SLA was, I would provide it. If you haven't decided what yours is yet, I suggest you do so before you start your business.

3. 24giovanni

I meant what would you say verbally?

4. erick295

erick295

Since SLA stands for about 50 different things, maybe you could expand on that a little... because I'm totally lost here. I do wonder, though, maybe you should just tell them what it is (whatever that may be) if they ask..?

5. 1ets

1ets

Huh ??

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I bet DoubleHelix is the only one in the thread that knows which SLA 24giovanni is talking about, and I bet 24giovanni doesn't know either. Why do I think so, because the way the question is posed doesn't really make sense.

Verbally? How about summing it up briefly?

7. 24giovanni

Lets see we are in a h/w forum and SLA....hmm...... maybe...just maybe service level agreement...that just a guess on my idiotic part. Oh, i forgot to add that I posted the same question in another forum and they knew precisely what I meant. i wonder why that is.

8. erick295

erick295

Well, now I know what you're talking about, but I still have no idea what you're asking...

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You neglect to describe the context of the discussion, but in terms of computer hardware it could stand for the Service Level Agreement you provide for your clients (if that was the case you certainly have got a problem, if you cannot describe it), or the SLA you have as a Customer (defining the level of help and support that you receive from your hardware or ISP service supplier).

So you see it has a meaning that is totally dependent on your discussions at the time, relative to the subject at that time.

And since we don't know that context, you may as well be asking us "how long is a piece of string"?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What would I say verbally? I would say, "My SLA agreement is _______" and fill in the blank.

What's so hard about this?

Maybe a good follow-up question from me should be: Do you know what a service level agreement is? If not, then you should ask us the question, "Could you please tell me what a service level agreement is?".

11. 24giovanni

The whole reason I ask this question was I was asked this exact question during an interview a few weeks ago and I asked the interviewer could you be a little more specific and he looked at me like you should know this if you're in the business and I said to myself it could be answered a few ways so why the weird look???? He finally wanted to know what type of coverage a past employer of mine had a nd I responded 7/24 in which he sounded very surprised in which I said to myself aren't all/most companies like that cause any company I worked for has been. Hence my original question.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

"What is your SLA?" is a very specific question. That's why he looked at you strangely. Your answer "7/24" is way too vague.

I think, perhaps, you do not know what a service level agreement is. Here's an example. If you are contacted via e-mail with a problem, do you agree to respond within 2 hours? 2 days? A week? That's one SLA.

What if someone calls you on the phone? Do you begin to resolve the issue immediately in all cases at 2am? Or do you have a different level of agreement for "after hours" calls? What if an e-mail comes in at 2am? Your answer of "7/24" indicates that someone is sitting at a computer every minute of every day including holidays just waiting for a message and it's immediately answered. What if 25 messages come in at once? Obviously they can't all be answered immediately, so in what period of time will the issues be addressed?

Another component of an SLA might be time-to-resolution. How many days will the problem ticket remain open before being escalated? What are escalation procedures?

13. 24giovanni

My understanding on an SLA is if you have an issue, no matter the time or day (hence my answer of 7/24) you can call for help as soon as possible (whether it be an hour, day) before a techie gets there depends on how busy they are or if night time how far they live from your site. Any place I've worked for meant it as when a call can be placed for service.

SLAs can be very general or extremely detailed, including the steps taken in the event of a failure. For example, if the problem persists after 30 minutes, a supervisor is notified; after one hour, the account rep is contacted, etc.

14. 24giovanni

I do agree with other posters that the question was very vague when asked as is because that is what I thought as well at the time. Erick and kiwi...I can understand where both of you were coming from vagueness of the "not enough info provided with the original question" trust me on that.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice