1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slackware install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by TheMad, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMad

TheMad Thread Starter

Well, I've got questions concerning the slackware 8.1 install. More specifically, about lilo.

I've got 3 hard drives on my computer, and I'm using the second one to install linux on (hdb) and, at the moment, have got 4 partitions on it. 1 NTFS partition, 2 ext3 partitions, and one linux swap partition. Now, I've installed Slackware to the two ext3 partitions. However, when I go to configure lilo, it does not work and, in fact, returns an error.

Now, I was running Mandrake 9.0 before slackware. Before installing slackware, I got rid of the partitions that contained Mandrake and remade them. I then installed slackware onto the new partitions. However, the automatic lilo configuration fails (I have tried installing lilo into the root directory and into the master boot record, both to no avail) and whenever I try to boot from the hard disk, it brings up Mandrake's lilo with the options for mandrake and XP. Now, I thought I had completely erased Mandrake, but some vestige of it still manages to live on somehow (albeit just barely). Not that thats really the issue, though.

In any case, I need to figure out a way to get lilo working and boot both Windows XP and Slackware. Any help in this area would be most appreciated.

TheMad

2. codejockey

codejockey

The error during the slackware installation of lilo is probably what allows Mandrake lilo to live on (in the MBR, I suspect). Some things to check:

(1) where Mandrake lilo is installed (/dev/hda? /dev/hdb?)
    (2) where you intend to install slackware lilo (presumably /dev/hda)
    (3) what partitions are active on each drive?
    (4) what specific error do you receive when you attempt to install lilo?

You should be able to create a lilo configuration file (typcially /etc/lilo.conf) that tells lilo how to boot both XP and linux. The lilo.conf man page gives an example of a multi-boot configuration, which should be close to what you want. Another good source of information is /usr/doc/liloXX.X/doc (mine is /usr/doc/lilo22.2/doc), which contains the users guide and associated files. The /usr/doc/lilo/XX.X/sample directory also has samples of lilo configuration files that you could work from.

Note that you can use lilo -t -v 5 to show what lilo would do without actually doing anything -- very useful. You can also create a boot disk and install lilo there, before trying to install on your hard drive.

If you post (or email) your lilo.conf file and more specific error informaiton, maybe we can get a bit farther.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice