Slackware linux Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

applecrisp

okay so downloaded and installed slack on my old p2 and it boots up then asks me for my darkstar login and i type username: root and the my password and it logs me in a something but is still text based no grpahics even though i installed Gnome. then after loging me in its just a command prompt reading root@darkstar how do I get it into GuI I farely new to linux so I really have no clue.

type startx
Also create a regular user so you dont login as root all the time.
HTH
lynch

You can also type kdm for the xdm as an alternative, kde for the kde starter, or gdm which will boot you straight into GNOME. KDM, XDM, and startx will give you a choice to what graphical manager to use.

foo

Tell X server about your hardware for better performance by typing xorgconfig as root. Change your runlevel to 4 in /etc/inittab to boot into GUI everytime you boot (xwmconfig to set default window manager).

If you type "startx" be sure to tell Slack what you want, otherwise Tab Window Manager (TWM) will be launched. You will need to open your .xinitrc file so let's do that:

"vi .xinitrc"

Now you will need to state what you want to run, in this case it's Gnome:

"exec gnome-session"

or KDE in this case:

"exec startkde"

Or as stated above you can just launch GDM or KDM, whatever you feel more comfortable with. Vi is also only an example for the text editor, you might feel more comfortable with EE or Nano. Good luck.

As stated above you can also use "xwmconfig", I forgot about that; Slack is nice for the little things like that. Xwmconfig and the fortunes at login are always great.

Big-K said:
Emacs is another good editor, if you're using command line.
:eek:

Avoiding the ever classic Vi vs. Emacs 40 paged flame wars, I just want to say that Emacs is good for people "graduating" with text editors. I first started out with Easy Edit, then Nano and everything based upon/off of it, Emacs for the longest time, Vim, and now Vi. I do get what you are trying to say about being in a terminal, it's actually pretty cool like that - but GUI runs slowly I think, and don't even get me started on the key bindings and such, I felt as though I had to be double jointed to use the thing. I do respect it but I do not use it, even the terminal Emacs I will not use. When I was new to the Linux game I launched up Vi and tried to do stuff with it, only to have the thing start this shrill beeping noise when I tried to type, and I didn't even know how to close it so I rebooted my computer. A bit ago I worked up some courage, read some man pages and launched Vim to edit a file, a warm and welcoming screen said "Help save starving children in Uganda!!" the rest is history.

Basically: If you're new you'll want EE/Nano/Pico. If you are advanced you will want Vi/Vim. If you are in between you'll want Emacs - I have been there. Well that's my rant. Applecrisp - reading your thread makes me assume that you'll want something like Nano; pay no attention to the Vi stuff just yet.

Under GUI I refuse to use emacs, under gui I like gedit. EMACS isn't really that hard to work for small things like editing your xorg.conf file or the lilo.conf file. That's what I mostly use it for anyway.

Big-K said:
Under GUI I refuse to use emacs, under gui I like gedit. EMACS isn't really that hard to work for small things like editing your xorg.conf file or the lilo.conf file. That's what I mostly use it for anyway.
True, and I'm glad we understand each other. Many times a text editor war breaks out at a "not so friendly" forum.

I only use visudo (for it's intended use, of course.) Otherwise I use nano as I dont see the need for me personally to bother with all the arcane keystrokes involved. I know how to use vi, I just dont. ;)
lynch

Emacs was the one that I first tried(commandline wise) so it's the one I use. I just find the F-key system very easy. I don't care about key bindings so much that I havn't even bothered to learn what they are, strangely.

Editors are a lot like wine -- you should drink what you like.

OK, OK, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm a vi man. There, I said it. Cheers! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online