1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slave Drive Not showing In "My Computer"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C-Smoove, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I had two drives working fine before I put in a new slave dirve. Before, my old slave drive was a 40g and I put in a new 160 g which will be my new slave dirve. All I did was move my files to my master so I could put in the new one.

Well I put it in and everything went Ok. Windows Xp detected it and said found new harware. Now, it just won't come up in My Computer where I use to see two drives, C: & D: I went to device manager and it says it is working properly.

How can I get it to work so I can move some of my files to the slave drive.

Carlton

2. norton850

norton850

It sounds like you didn't partition and format the new drive.

3. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Yeah I didn't do that, I thought maybe it would lead me to that step. I haven't done this in a long time. Can you tell me how I can get to that step? What do I need to do from where I am now?

Carlton

4. norton850

norton850

Sure. Right click on My Computer and choose Management followed by Disk Management. Here's how to do it. Disk Management

5. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Hello,

Its me again. In the disk management it shows the drive but it is "unallocated". I right-clicked it and "new partition" comes up. Do I follow the wizard by clicking new partition and after that then I format, correct? I'm just trying to make sure I do this right.

6. norton850

norton850

Correct. When you create the new partition you will have a choice as to whether to create one single large partition taking up all of the drive space or several smaller ones. It's somewhat your choice. Since it's just for storage I would take the one big partition option, but there is no right or wrong way to do it.

7. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

This is my last question, I know I'm being a bugga boo, lol. In the wizard it ask me if I want to do a primary partition or an extended partiton?

Which one do I choose?

8. norton850

norton850

Basic Disk with a Primary Partition

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I always make secondary drives extended partitions. I get more flexibility in creating different logical drive sizes that way.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice