1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slave Drive not shown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by e065688, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e065688

e065688 Thread Starter

Mates--In a Dell Dim 8200 I used Seagate utility and create a clone of my main HD on the slave HD (IDE ATA). The intent was to swap the HDs so the manin with 320G could be used as an external for another PC. Since I have not bought the enclosure to do this, I left the slave back in the Dim 8200 but Acronics Disc director does not recognize it. Windows disk manager doesn't see it either. When I remove the main and load the slave it boots up w/o problem. Need to know how to format the slave so an the image of Main can be loaded on it. Welcome your thoughts
    Thanks in advance

Everyone is entitled to only one stupid mistake!

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy e065688...

Jumpers set correctly?

Does the BIOS see it?

3. e065688

e065688 Thread Starter

Master --The jumpers on bothe drives are on CS. But have not checked to see if it shows in the Bios. But would be helpful to know what to do after I press F2 (takes me in Setup). Can you please instruct where to go in the F2
    Thanks Mate

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I'm trying to remember where it is on that Dell, ( some models had the info in different places) ...

Look for a menu for IDE...

Can't remember exactally where it is...

5. e065688

e065688 Thread Starter

Master--In Bios I see both of the HD but have not been able to see the second HD past Bios

Regards

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Interesting...

Try setting the slave drive jumpers as a slave, and the master drive jumpers as a master...

And see if windows sees it...

Hmmm...

It could be that both drives are set as active ( I know a long shot, but I've seen it happen )...

7. e065688

e065688 Thread Starter

Hi Master--Think will do a fresh install on teh slave. Make that the main and then once saved my files from existing Main, format and use ad a data storage exterbnally. I guss by simply instally XP windows will do all this for--Please tell me if I'm on the right path.
    Thanks

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Sounds like a plan...

Let us know how it turns out...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice