1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slave drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smallmind, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallmind

smallmind Thread Starter

Can I plug my compaq "quantum" hard drive into my new Dell "XP" on the middle clip of ribbon. A scribble labeled "auto" I hope means it doesn't need a jumper to designate itself as "slave." ???? Then I understand from reading I find a new power lead and plug it into old drive, then possibly follow directions in "disk management" segment to create "partition?" I simply want to be able to edit and print old files written in ancient "works" windows 95. Real dumb about this stuff, guy. Please help.

2. chakorules

chakorules

Last time I worked on a DELL, they are configuring their hard drives as CABLE SELECT. Which means you should be able to take that slave drive and boot it up and the DELL BIOS should find it ok, pluggin it into the middle connector on the same IDE channel. "grey color"

You do not create a parition. If the drive already has data on it, then a parition was created long ago. Lucky for you, Windows XP can read a FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS partition.

So when you get into Windows, your drive will appear as the next drive letter providing the DELL BIOS auto detected the slave drive in cable select mode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice