1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slave drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by patandroseh, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patandroseh

patandroseh Thread Starter

I am trying to install an old hard drive from an old computer we had to our new computer so I can retreive all of our pictures. The old computer cd drives wont read or write disks now so I cant burn them on a data disk, and I tried using a flash drive to copy them to but the computer wont recognize that without a driver and it doesnt come with a driver, it works fine on my new computer so I guess the old one is just to "old". lol.

OK, new computer is a HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2.21 GHz, 384 MB RAM running Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 with service pack 2.

Old computer is a compaq presario intel pentium III processor running windows 98, thats about all I know.

The old computer hard drive doesnt have a diagram on the back with slave, master, cable etc. its has a diagram and says jumper J50, Master/Single On, Slave Off,

Can all drives be made slave? or some not? I have moved the jumper plastic thingy to all possible spots and everytime I start the computer back up and go to my computer the drive is not showing up.

Is there something else I am suppose to do? I removed the cd drive cable so I could use that port, (not sure of the technical name for the cord or the place you plug it in but I know where and what they are : ) because I heard it would be quicker to transfer files if I disconnected the cd drive. So its plugged in snug and as I said I tried the jumper in all spots which look like this : ` : : : : there is one place with only a top wire and no bottom, so I though maybe that was it but nadda.

If I need to supply more info on something let me know, THANKS! : )

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it says "slave off", then it means that the jumper should be removed for slave. The slave is on the same cable as the drive that is already there in the machine?

The drive needs to show in BIOS, too, so take a look there.

3. patandroseh

Thanks for the Speedy reply : ) !~! will try.

4. patandroseh

took the jumper out still no luck,
    and I understand the BIOS has something to do with the memory, seems like I had to change a battery or something a few years ago in the old computer. but I'm not sure what you mean by drive needs to show in BIOS?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

When you boot the machine, is there a message that tells you to press some key to enter "setup" or similar? The drive needs to be recognized by the machine before it can be recognized by the operating system, and this happens before the OS even loads.

BIOS Access Guide

See if it appears in the BIOS setup. If not, then look for settings that may prevent that. Both IDE channels should be enabled (if that setting exists). The drive should be set to be autodetected in BIOS, too, unless you want to enter its parameters manually.

Is the drive on the same cable as your system drive? Some drives need a change in the jumper if a slave is present, too. So you need to check the jumper on the other drive and look at the guide on the side. It may have a different setting for slave-present than for slave-absent.

6. patandroseh

just an update, I havent had time in the past few days to check the new drive to see if it has an option for slave present or absent. Will look tonight or tomorrow, but in the mean time if it doesnt have any of that does anyone have something else in mind to check?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check your cables and try others if you have any. Make sure that the cables you use are correct for the jumper settings. If the cables are marked for which drive goes where (and are different colors on the connectors), then you need to connect them properly and use the cable-select setting on the drives.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice