1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slave drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notyrgodyrking, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notyrgodyrking

notyrgodyrking Thread Starter

I have a small harddrive and a second small hard drive i want to use as a slave drive. It is not being recongnized as a slave drive. But it will recognize as a main drive. How can I solve this Problem?

thanx we checked that and had it hooked just that way and we are wondering if the hard drive i am adding if it has a volume label if that can cause problems with the addition?

2. Monk_

Monk_

If they are on the same ribbon cable, have you set the jumper on the second drive to slave?

3. esdxc37

esdxc37

a little more info

if you want to run 2 hars drives on the same ribbon cable one has to be the master the other is designated slave
    on the back of the hard drive there is a set of pins that are the jumpers the master drive usually has no jumper setting as default while the slave is jumpered
    your hard drive manuals should tell you the position of the jumpers
    on some hard drive the info is actually given in a little diagram in the specifications model etc
    if you are trying to run it on another cable i presume you have a cd on this cable then the same setup must be followed although not a good idea to run the cd on the same cable as a hard drive as info from the hard drive is only transfered at the slower cd speed

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice