1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slave hard drive preventing windows boot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JollyRiot, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JollyRiot

JollyRiot Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    Here is my tale of bewilderment - my computer was running fine last night when I switched off. Now I switch on this morning and the computer freezes on windows startup - on the blue bar that moves accross the screen when you see the windows splash image (windows 2k). I'm pretty sure nothing has changed between switching off last night and now, I didn't update any drivers, install anything, etc etc.

The setup I have now has been running fine for the past month, which is when I added this hard drive to my comp.

I'm running:

Windows 2000
    Seagate Barraccuda 200gb SATA HDD
    lots of other lovely components

Any ideas as to where I should start trying to figure out what has happened would be appreciated. I ran some stability checks to make sure the cpu + motherboard are fine, and it seems that they are (since this is an overclocked computer it's easy to blame stuff on a CPU generating errors).

Thanks for any insight

2. stellir

stellir

you say slave drive is preventing boot...........

So does that mean when you disconnect the slave drive the computer boots fine?

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I don't see how the slave could possibly prevent booting unless it was setup wrong - maybe the jumper is in the wrong position. If you have cable select cables then you need to put the jumper on both HD's to CS instead of master/slave.

4. JollyRiot

JollyRiot Thread Starter

Wow that was stupid of me to not mention - yes, I'm using the computer now. The drive is unplugged at the mo, yes, it runs as a slave - or I assume so. Should have gone into more detail on this. The primary drive is an IDE hdd, the secondary/slave/problematic drive is a SATA drive.

@CouchMaster: It's a SATA drive therefore has no jumpers :( The primary IDE drive is on cable select. I can try putting a jumper in now to see what happens, however I have no idea why this setup worked fine for the past month and I've used the drive as I describe here without any problems. It is only today that it decided to start playing up.

5. stellir

stellir

Well how about if you go into the cmos and see if the drive is being detected?
    Or even upon boot does it recognize the drive.

We need to determine if the drive is spinning up. I would try to test it on another pc if you can.

6. JollyRiot

JollyRiot Thread Starter

How troublesome....

I booted it up on another computer (identical system spec, except winxp) and everything was fine, data intact etc etc.

I then booted it up on this computer in SAFE MODE and everything was fine, drive fully accessible. It seems that the comp only freezes on windows startup when I'm trying to boot windows normally with the hard drive plugged in.

(drive always was set up as a slave drive FYI)

Is this still a hardware issue or more of a windows issue?

7. stellir

stellir

Sounds like windows to me
    Have you installed anything recently, maybe some windows update?

You can always boot into safe mode and remove the drive in the device manager and see if it reinstalls correctly.

8. JollyRiot

JollyRiot Thread Starter

Nah havn't done any updates or anything, literally nothing changed afaik overnight, which is why the whole thing baffles me so.

I'll try the reinstallation idea though that sounds like a nice plan, thanks for helping so far btw! :)

9. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

It certainly is confusing! Re-installation is what I'd try next...

10. JollyRiot

JollyRiot Thread Starter

Removal from device manager and then reinstallation seems to have no effect sadly :(

I'm guessing a windows reinstallation would sort it, but obviously don't want to resort to that so quickly. For today, however, I'm going to have to pack it in. I've got a large chunk of work to do for the next couple days, and I've managed to grab the data off the drive that enables me to carry on with that - short term I'm alright.

Thanks for your aid for now guys! :) I might put this up in the windows forum in a couple days, depending on erm.....forum rules and whatnot. Anyway, take care.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the SATA drive got switched around to be the boot drive in the BIOS, and it didn't have a valid copy of Windows on it, it could cause such a problem...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice