1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slave Hard Drive Size Not Fully Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biday77, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biday77

biday77 Thread Starter

My new system specs are Gigabyte K7T Triton (Via KT 600 chipset),XP 2500,512 MB Kingston PC 2700 memory,two identical Maxtor 80 GB 8 MB cache 7200 hard drives,CDRW,DVD Rom,Gainwanward Ti2 450 video card, SB live 5.1 and Windows XP Pro.
    The two hard drives were in my previous set up. I changed my system due to a motherboard failure. The hard drives worked fine and do so in my new setup except for the fact that whichever hard drive is in the Slave position is recognized by the BIOS and Windows as only 32.5 GB in size. Presently this drive is one large partition.
    When I first set up this system my present Master was the Slave, It was not fully recognized as 80 GB,so I disconnected this drive,and made the other drive the Master.
    It was then recognized as 80 GB so I installed Windows XP Pro and set up three partitions. My problem is that the other,the "first" Master,now the Slave
    hard drive is now only seen as 32.5 MB.
    I am at a loss as to how to proceed to get the second HD seen at it's 80 GB size or what and where this problem originates. This is my first Gigabyte motherboard.
    I could realy use some help with this.
    Also the system does not shut down except by holding the power button for 4 seconds (after clicking Shut Down)If I don't use the Power button the system will restart Windows. This "button shut" down works OK--no data loss or boot up problems the next time I start up,but I have always had the sdreen Shut Down power off the system automatically.

2. lostoreador

lostoreador

man,

I feel for ya on the whole, had to put all my good stuff on a new mobo routine.

If you are able to run XP and view the contents of the drive that currently shows 32 GB, but is an 80 gig drive, transfer all the drive data, files, what not to your other drive.

then, start fresh, set the slave drive to slave or cable select on the jumpers, make sure it is installed in the middle of the IDE cable, the cable should be terminated on your master. Next run fdisk from dos and begin at the beginning, reformat, and allow for large disk support, Oh also are the drives formatted fat 32 or nsf? whichever one partition the drive as you like and try to restart the computer.

As for your shutting down problem, are you using the onboard vga or do you have a video card. Video cards are notorious for causing shut down problems. Try loading most current video card drivers.

reply and ill talk some more

3. Ramachandran

Ramachandran

Hello,

I feel your system BIOS is not properly configured.
    IDE setting or configuration will decide the size of detected HDD!
    Are you using proper cable.?
    Have you tried your HDD as secondary IDE ?

4. biday77

biday77 Thread Starter

Lostoreador,
    It seems that whichever drive was in the Slave position is recognized as
    only 32 GB. I formatted the Slave. There is now a bit of data on it. I double checked the jumper settings. It is seen as 32 GB in the BIOS. The Bios is set to Auto on Ide Detect. I sent a message to Gigabyte tech support but haven't heard back from them yet. I really don't think the problem is caused by the hard drive itself. The other two Ide connections are occupied by a DVD Rom and CDRW so that really only leaves the IDE setup as it presently is.
    I really am at at a loss. I thought to disconnect the Master,put the Slave on as Master- which I have actually already done once,but now that the present Master has Win XP Pro,all my programs,and 54 GB of music I would kill myself if anything happened to this drive.
    I guess the question is how the BIOS is faulty. Maybe Gigabyte can tell me.
    Any other ideas will be appreciated.
    Thanks

5. replay

replay

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice