1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sleep Button Options Missing in Advanced Power Options..

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Corei69, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

So I have a keyboard with a fully functional and fully working Sleep Button on it when I press the Sleep Button it will put my Computer to Sleep. However in the latest versions of Windows 10 they have completely removed the Sleep Button Options from the Advanced Power Options as well as the Change what my Power Buttons do section. I used to be able to tell Windows to Hibernate when I pressed the Sleep button in the Advanced Power Options, However that option is now gone! I have tried using Registry Tweaks/Changes etc,.. and I can not seem to get that option back! Does anyone here know how to fix this so that I can tell Windows to Hibernate when I press the Sleep button instead of Sleeping? I would really appreciate some help with this!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm on Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.504, which is the latest I think (unless you have already installed 1903 !).

If I type Power into the search/cortana area then click 'Power & sleep settings' at the top and scroll down to 'Related settings' and click on the 'Additional power settings' blue link I get to the old style Power Options screen. From there I can choose Hibernate for the sleep button (even though I don't have one).

So give that a try.

EDIT : just downloaded update KB4497934 which changed the build to 17763.529 - the above still works though.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

Yes I have already upgraded to the latest 1903 Build. I just tried that and since they have removed the Cortana Search I can not seem to find that I have tried everything I can think of I have combed through the Control Panel as well as the Newer Settings Pane, I have even tried Registry Tweaks that Claim to restore the Options for the Sleep Button. And I have yet to find anything that will restore the Options that allow me to tell windows to hibernate when I press the sleep button on my keyboard it's like the option never existed, Even though I know it did. It's like they erased any and all traces of it's existence from the new Windows. :(

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

I am not talking about the Hibernation from the Start Menu, I am talking about a physical Sleep Key on my keyboard which still works fine but the options within windows were you used to be able to tell windows when I press this Sleep Button on my Keyboard go into Hibernation instead of Sleeping, Has been completely eradicated from the newest versions of Windows 10 namely 1809 and now same in 1903.

6. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

And yes I first noticed that Option had been removed in version 1809 and now it's still missing in 1903.

7. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    As you can see in this image from the page you linked me to In the center is an Option that says "When I press the sleep buttons" That is what is missing and for the life of me I can not seem to get it back!! I am at my whits end with this, as I used to use that feature to make my Keyboards Sleep Button put the PC into Hibernation. But that option has been erased... That is the very feature I am describing and asking people to help me find a way to bring that Option back.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well I could still get the Hibernate option in 1809 but I don't have 1903 yet so I can't really help you with that.

Did you have to install anything special to get the keyboard's Sleep key to work in the first place ?

9. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

No I have never had to install any special drivers or software for windows to see that I had a Sleep Button on my Keyboard but a few 1809 updates ago and don't recall exactly when that option suddenly vanished. I am starting to wonder if there is a way to trick Windows into thinking I have a Laptop as maybe it would then be available again.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I should have mentioned I am using a laptop for this ! Not sure if that's significant or not though.

11. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

It might be as I am talking about a Tower PC. But what I don't understand is that feature was always available to me before, and it was within the last few months that it was suddenly removed from Windows. I don't understand it, It's so confusing. Like I said maybe if I could trick Windows into thinking I am on a laptop it would bring that option back again.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  13. Corei69

Corei69 Thread Starter

prnt.sc/ns3w30 This is an image of what I have in those Options Hibernate is already available to me for the Power Button, However there is no Sleep button option as seen in the previous photo I shared. That is what I want to get back is the Option to Change what the Sleep Button does. For some reason this site won't accept Lightshot url's.

Edit: I tried what that link says to do and it made no difference. However I greatly appreciate you taking the time to try and help me fix this.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice