1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sleep not working.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by asuss06, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

when i close the lid on my new Gateway with Vista, it doesnt go to sleep, which is what i have it set for. Then when i reopen the lid, theres a flash, the screen goes black and i get an error written across the screen that the computer "...did not shut down correctly..." and then gives me the option to restart in Safemode, Safemode with networking, or nornal start up. ive checked and rechecked the sleep setting in the powersaving utility and everything seems normal. anyone know what the problem might be?

2. Classics

Classics

Make sure that you have
    Sleep
    ----Allow hybrid sleep
    ----------On battery: Off
    ----------Plugged in: Off
    Power buttons and lid
    ----Lid close action
    ----------On battery: Sleep
    ----------Plugged in: Sleep

If yes, then try putting the computer to sleep from the start menu (The arrow next to the lock button) and see if that works.

If it does not, go into your BIOS and make sure your set to S3.

3. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i have everything set to "sleep" when the lid closes, and yes, the sleep function works fine when done manually.

what is Hybrid sleep? i cant find any description or settings for that?

4. Classics

Classics

Hybrid sleep is a mix of standby and hibernate, it will shut the computer down.
    Try making a new power plan with the settings described above and see if that works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice