1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sleep settings

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by maxcan7, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxcan7

maxcan7 Thread Starter

Hey, so I've had this computer for only a few months now, but I've noticed something that I used to not have a problem with on my old XP, that has become a problem on windows 7. It isn't that big a deal, which is why I hadn't bothered asking about it until now, but it is still kind of annoying.

I've noticed that if I have the power settings set for sleep mode to start after a certain amount of time, it stops the computer from doing anything else. Similarly, if I have something such as a virus scan set to run overnight, if the computer is asleep it won't happen. I hear that you can supposedly set windows 7 to wake up at a given time, but if the task would take longer than the amount of time before the computer goes back to sleep, it would then of course stop again.

Ideally, I'm hoping there is a way to set it so that my computer will continue to perform certain tasks such as scans or downloads and just not enter sleep mode until after that, and also to wake itself up in the middle of the night specifically for a given task, and then of course to stay awake until the task is finished. Is this possible?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you set it to sleep after a certain interval, then it will do that no matter what the reason for waking it up or starting it. All you can do is turn off the automatic sleep time or increase its size so that it doesn't interfere with any tasks you want to complete.

3. maxcan7

maxcan7 Thread Starter

Hm... that is really annoying :(. I could have sworn on my old XP I didn't have this problem, why would they change that? Other than this I love windows 7 though. So, there are no work around or anything?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice