1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slew of problems! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DDar, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

Hey, I built my PC a few months ago, and ever since I've had an onslaught of problems. I've RMA'd one of my Graphics cards twice, had the drives do something funky with the way they boot, etc...

Anyways, lately we've been having a lot of problems with the booting of the PC. Sometimes it'll get stuck on the welcome screen or give us a blank palish blue screen (no error message) upon pressing a session. Other times we'll get random freezes or black screens.

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what the problem could be, as it sounds like it could be anything from a defective motherboard to a defective PSU (or just not enough wattage).

We pretty much get a problem every time we boot up the computer. It can usually be fixed by a hard reset, but still...

Anybody got any advice for how to figure out what the problem is?

My parts are:

CPU: Core i7 930
    GPUs: 2x EVGA GTX 470
    Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
    PSU: Antec 750 W
    HDD: 1TB Samsumg Spinpoint
    SSD: 60 GB Mushkin
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 (G-skill)

Please help. I love my PC and it would be great if I could get it to run as smoothly as I know it can.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Might also tell us more about you copy of Windows 7.
    What version is it?
    Is it 32 or 64 bit?
    Where did you get it?

3. D-Berd

D-Berd

Download Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php (The download link is somewhere in the center of the page) and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
    The information I want you to post is the stuff that is presented on the main screen. It will show temperatures and voltage readings.
    To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot

To do a screenshot click on the "Print Screen" or the "Prt scr" button on your keyboard.
    * It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
    * Now go to Start and then to All Programs
    * Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
    * In the Empty White Area press and hold the CTRL key and then press the V key
    * Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
    * Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
    * Attach it to your next reply

4. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

It's Windows 7 64 bit.

I'll be sure to do that ASAP.

5. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

There you go!

Attached Files:

6. D-Berd

D-Berd

Whoops......Wrong post, sorry. Edit: The voltages are not showing up correctly with speedfan...11.30 volts is a low reading but I don't know if it's correct. It's also not showing the 5 volt reading....You can try this one if you wish and post back the results....Download SIW from HERE http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html and get the Standalone English version.

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
    On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right window copy and paste (or take a screen shot) the information you find in your next reply.

And (or) follow the advice from Rich-M and download "Memtest"
    You could also try pulling out 2 sticks of ram and running the system and see if you have issues. If not then you can continue to swap until you find one that's bad. When you run memtest you may want to try testing one stick at a time.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would bet ram incompatibility. Did you check that m odel ram to see if compatible with this motherboard. Checking the Asus site there is no GSkill ram listed as compatible with that board and when you find errors all over the place, different every time and not really making any sense, you have ram incompatibility issues most of the time. I would download memtest86 and run 4 full tests (each test has 8 passes) and if you see any error at all, you have your answer. You download an iso file which then burns to a bootable cd.
    www.memtest.org This little freebie will burn iso to a bootable cd in case you have nothing to do that:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html

8. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are right, I guess I didn't scroll down enough...

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What about the other questions?

11. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

About the OS?
    Well, it's Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. We bought it retail and it's the upgrade version on a fresh install. We bought it at staples.

12. DDar

DDar Thread Starter

I ran memtest all night. 12 passes, 0 errors.

I was told at Tom's Hardware that my 750w PSU is just not enough power for my system, so I'm upgrading my PSU into a 1200w one.

Hopefully this fixes my problems. What do you guys think?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't waste your money 750 watts Antec psu is plenty.
    At this point I would look at the motherboard, Asus are nothing but trouble in my book these days. Years ago they were the best!

14. bbearren

bbearren

Heat. When's the last time you blew everything out? Clean your fans, especially the CPU cooler fan and the fins on the CPU heatsink. It doesn't take much heat to cause strange "hardware" related errors.

I have my fans set in BIOS to slow down when the system is cool. If I start hearing the fans when the system is relatively idle, it's time for another cleaning.

Don't believe the folks that say once a year or once every six months; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

15. D-Berd

D-Berd

Here are the requirements for the single EVGA GeForce GTX 470

Requirements

Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
    (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)
    [​IMG] Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongles http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...s%20Family&sw=

I think the maximum amps your power supply will put out is 62 amps on the +12 volt rail.
    One GTX 470 needs 38 amps..So X that by 2 and you get 76 amps....Could be your psu.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=679&pid=2

Can you test the system with another psu? I would run the pc with one card to see how it worked before buying a new power supply, just to make sure.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice