SLI / Crossfire old GPU with new GPU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zantaff

am starting to completely build a computer for the first time.

I have an old Radeon HD 4550 that works pretty well. I am definitely going to upgrade & get a new GPU, but I was wondering... is there a way (or is it worth it) to SLI / Crossfire my old GPU with a newer one?

I'm still fairly new to computer building, so I may have the wrong idea of SLI. It seems to me is that there are 2 cards plugged into PCIe slots and when you install certain drivers, the PC can utilize both processors' power.

Also, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to use an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO mobo with an Intel Core i5-3570K.
For my price range, the GPU's I'm looking at are: Radeon HD 7770 -or- GeForce GTX 650 TI

Thanks

Triple6

Rob
You can only CrossFire with AMD cards, or SLI for NVidia cards, but you can only do so in the same family. So you'd need another Radeon HD 45xx series card. So in other words don't bother and instead buy a massively faster and better Radeon HD 7770 ot GTX 650 Ti that you are already looking at.

Also, the results are random and all over the place with either.

Most games see very little benefit to multiple cards. You be better off saving the money and not buying an SLI / CF board and using the saved money on a better GPU.

As for spending in general, also make sure to buy a good quality PSU. That is one place many new builders skimp and suffer for later.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online