1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SLI Graphics: Failed fans.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PuzzledGuy, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PuzzledGuy

PuzzledGuy Thread Starter

My system is set up with two Msi 6600 GT's and the fans have failed - Iv'e replaced the No1 fan but am having a problem finding a suitable replacement for the No2 there being only 3cm between it and the next pci slot (all slots being full) can anyone reccommend a fan that will fit and do the job? I would be happy with just the stock fan fixed but can't seem to be able to purchase the ARX CERA DYNA FD1250 - A1012C anywhere (such a piddling little thing, I bet you could get a bag of a hundred for a tenner in China) and have had no luck with the computer manufacturer or Msi.

I have allready tried the BRG Universal Gpu fan but sent it back as I didn't consider it substantial enough (being approx 2/3rd's the size of the original, even though its sold as being suitable for 6600 replacement).

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

So two fans failed on two cards at approximately the same time. Either the cards are junk or you have another problem behind the scenes. Are you sure you have enough power to run this setup and/or with the small area you spoke of even with fans does your case get enough airflow to cool the cards let alone the rest of the machine? Are you saying that the No. 2 fan (stock) wouldn't fit at 3cm?

3. PuzzledGuy

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are junk but they're definitely not of the best quality. The computer is complete as sold by Watford electronics with a Joue Joue 350 watt power supply - in the limited investigation that I have carried out it seems to be adequate if only just.
    I'm sure I have plenty of air flow/supply with two extra 120mm fans fitted (one exhausting the other inlet).
    The No 2 fan fits easily within the 3cm gap between No 2 and the next card (next pci slot).

Thanks.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Sorry, wasn't trying to say "junk" as in you made a terrible choice it's just that having two separate but equal components fail at the same time is unusual to say the least.

Does the number 2 fan spacing allow for the No. 1 stock fan? If so can't you put that on No. 2 and then look for a replacement for No. 1?

5. PuzzledGuy

Sorry if I mislead you, the No 1 fan failed some time ago and I replaced it with a "Ice Chameleon VGA Cooler" from pointofview-online.com (have'nt heard of them before or since) which is still working fine, Its a bit bulky but seems effective enough.
    The No 2 is actually still working but only just - I was forced to investigate when all sorts of strange noises started emanating from the "box" and have managed to resuscitate it for, I don't know how long - with a good clean and a couple of drops of oil. (the fan runs on a bearingless plastic shaft)!
    So, in answer to your question - no I can't replace the No 1 with No2.

I said "easily fits" - there isn't actually much of a gap the fan when sat on top of the large copper (coloured) dissipator adds up to nearly 3cm.

What do most people do in this situation - I'm surely not the only person to have this problem, I can see from the construction that the fan has only a limited designed lifespan?

6. lee555J5

lee555J5

I realize this thread is ~1.5 years old, but I have the exact same card with the exact same problem. I opened my case one day to find the fan from this card lying on the card beneath it. I am posting this so others might find help.

I sent an email this morning using the tech support email function on http://www.msicomputer.com/company/technical_support.asp. It's a form. I got a response in less than 3 hours informing me of a complete HSF replacement for $15, including shipping! The phone number they provided in the email is the same on the web site - 626-913-0828.

Bottom line: $15 and this card lives on! :cool:

Lee

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

The amazing thing is I still remember this problem. Thanks for the follow up lee555J5. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice