*SLI Problem Help Request*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

USNJedi23

Christopher
I built a new PC for my Wife. It is mainly a DFI LANParty SLI-DR board with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU, 2 GB Corsair XMS RAM and 250 GB HDD. The PSU is an Ultra 550 X-connect 2 and the GPUs are both PNY GeForce 6800 GS PCIe. The PC runs fine except when I attempt to enable SLI mode via the nVidia console. The screen goes black except for a flashing white cursor in the top left corner. The LCD is a ViewSonic and it is connected to the top GPU via a DVI cable. I have the mboard jumpers set for SLI, both cards seated properly and all 3 power connecters (1 per GPU & 1 mboard) connected. Any advice is appreciated!!! I have also attempted to reinstall Windows XP and have ensured I am running the same drivers on both GPUs.

USNJedi23

Christopher
So I tried to swap the video cards between the 2 PCIe x16 slots. Both cards work as the primary, but when I enable SLI, nothing. With the cards swapped I no longer get the flashing white cursor, I get no signal. I cannot get video past the BIOS and pre windows screens.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
But you do see Windows begin to load?

I assume you have the SLI connector between the two cards and have tried the other video connectors on the cards for the monitor.

If so then try updating the Nforce4 chipset drivers to the latest: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html
And the display drivers to the latest: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Older NVidia drivers did have issues with the 6800GS.

If you have a Dual Core Athlon64 you should also make sure you have the latest BIOS installed: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downl...D=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

Make sure both 6800GS's are using the same video card BIOS. If they are not the same contact the manufacturer to see about getting a BIOS file so you can flash one of the video cards so they match.

Also what kind of PSU are you running? The DFI Lanparty boards need a MINIMUM of 480 watts from a reputable company in order to run properly. www.dfi-street.com has actual DFI employee's contributing in the posts and they have a recommended PSU list at their site.

USNJedi23

Christopher
I do have the SLI bridge on, I do see Windows loading but do not get to Desktop.

I updated all the drivers, checked the BIOS on the GPUs and even rolled back the GPU drivers to the ones from the PNY website. No joy.

I am not running a dual core CPU.

Here is the dxdiag:

Attachments

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Its possible that in SLI mode the resolution or refresh is being adjusted and is being set to high. Can you log into Safe Mode or VGA mode from the Start up Menu?

USNJedi23

Christopher
This is the latests dxdiag results.

I am frustrated to the point that I am about to remove the second video card and switch the jumpers back to a single GPU setup until I can afford to upgrade the cards and try again.

Attachments

USNJedi23

Christopher
On my latest attempt at enabling SLI I received the BSOD with a machine check exception 0x0000009c error. I have received many similar errors in my pursuit of SLI and assume that for some reason my rig just will not except my PNY Verto Geforce 6800GS' in SLI. I am done screwing around with this and will just use a single video card until I can afford better GPU's.

If you guys come up wih something we have not tried yet, let me know and I will try it just for the sake of it.

Thank you all for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online