1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SLI troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by renegade981, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. renegade981

renegade981 Thread Starter

whenever i enable SLI for my dual 256MB Nvidia 7800 GTX graphics cards i have trouble when teying to pay games...such as GTA San Andreas...i thougth SLI increaced and helped with games?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.

1 Power supply. It is sli approved and of good quality. The sli systems I have seen use at the very min a 550W quality ps.

2 Latest nvidia driver installed. The latest driver allows cards with different bios to be sli although it is still a good idea to have matched cards.

3 Do the games you are trying to play support sli? On some older games, you will see a slowdown since the game was not written for sli.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW it is just my opinion, however sli is nothing more than a gimmick. It is not new technology; dual gpus have been around since the late 90s. The voodoo5500 had two gpus on one card. The 6000 [very rare] had 4.

4. renegade981

so if i dont have SLI enabled...will it still use both my video cards...or will i have to toggle this geature depending on the game?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To the best of my knowledge; if you have sli disabled via jumper / bios, it will use only the #1 card.

6. renegade981

so do i have to toggle iot on and off varyig hwat game iw ant to play?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!