Slicing images in Photoshop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmurfitt

elp! :)

I have a set of layered tiff images which I need to slice up to put on the web. Each tiff is slightly different, but has the same layout. If I slice up one tiff, is it possible to copy the slicing measurements to the other images so I can make sure that all the slices for all of the tiff images are the same size (I hope that makes sense)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Do not export to TIFF format, if you do your web site will take ages to load if it does at all. You can set the size of your slices by adding the guides in Photoshop prior to jumping to ImageReady and saving as a web site.

dmurfitt

Export to TIFF? The designs were made, and saved in TIFF so it would be a layered image. Now I am slicing the image up (which creates loads of little GIFs (which can be used on the web)). My problem is, can I use the same slice measurements for different images (tiff, or otherwise)?

Don't understand why they didn't save them as PSDs for Photoshop, but whatever. I don't think there is any way to use slice sizes for different images, the slices are based on the image you are slicing.

dmurfitt

This is the way our designer (a 3rd party company) chose to provide the images. I would have prefered Photoshop. Is that ok now?

Does anyone know if this is possible? I just want to keep the slice measurements for different images.

No it is not possible, you can duplicate slices in the same image, but not across images like a template. You could do it another way as long as bot images are the same size. Set up your guides in Photoshop and copy the subsequent images as layers in PS. Jump you imageready and create slices based on guides for each layer. You will have to save them in different locations or it will overwrite the images from the previous layer.

dmurfitt

What if I copied some of the others layers from the other images to the original image?

Layers do not contain slices only the PSD file does. They are kind of an overlay on top of all of the layers. So the answer would be no.

dmurfitt

What I mean is, if I have a master PSD file, with the slices, and then add extra layers for every template to that same PSD. Then, I can export each layer set to web format using different layers in the same PSD file each time. *catches breath* :)

dmurfitt

It's actually working. Because each PSD file is the same size / layout, I am just duplicating the layers which are different to the PSD which is sliced up, then saving as webpage again to grab the new images which are different. This way, each slice stays exactly the same size. Yay! :D

dmurfitt said:
It's actually working. Because each PSD file is the same size / layout, I am just duplicating the layers which are different to the PSD which is sliced up, then saving as webpage again to grab the new images which are different. This way, each slice stays exactly the same size. Yay! :D
this sounds like what i've been asking on the thread "interactive maps"....so lemme see if i understand your process, with my particular situation

your (my) master PSD file is a map of CA(with county lines), divided into six regions....this is my rollover master....each region is a rollover...in its "on" position, one of the regions gets all bright and pretty, and the master fades a bit

which means there are six rollover layers, one for each of the "on" positions

so what you have done (or would do, if this was your project :) ) is to upload the "background" of the master PSD file (the starting point....the map of CA.... to your site, and then load each of the layers as a separate image file rollover

am i getting this right?

dmurfitt

Maybe we can help each other then :)

I'm not sure if that is the same as what I am doing, but it's very similar. My original problem was, we had a designer provide us with a set of website templates in a layered format (which I converted to PSD). Each section of the site has a slightly different colour scheme, although it was the same layout. So, to make sure I have the same size slices for each separate PSD file, just slice one up the way you want it, then open one of the other PSD files and right click the layer and Duplicate the layer to the file with the slices. You can then overlay the new layer and save the page as a webpage again to obtain the new images. I guess in your case, then you would then take each new file slice, and add it as a roll over image in Dreamweaver (or whatever program you are using to compile the page). I hope this makes sense mate :)

Using layers it would be a snap. Just hide the layers each time you want to output a differnt set of images. If all the layers are on the same image it will work just fine. I thought you were doing it from different images entirely.

dmurfitt

Yeah I was originally, but I managed to duplicate the layers across so they were all on one master PSD. Seems to work a charm.

dmurfitt said:
Yeah I was originally, but I managed to duplicate the layers across so they were all on one master PSD. Seems to work a charm.
yeppers (y) ....my map is developing along the same lines, and seems to be working (what a resource hog image ready is!!....takes over five minutes to assemble the images and code for a browser test...the person that develops free form slices is gonna make a fortune :cool: )....

if i manage to get it where i want it, i'll post a link for review....i'd enjoy hearing your comments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.