Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slide Show using Photoshop CS2

9K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  fairnooks 
#1 ·
I would like to make and burn a slideshow of my Chinese vacation but I can't figure how to do it using Photoshop CS2. I tied it using Elements but it produced very fuzzy photos on my CD. Any help? I also would like to add music to the back gound.

#4 ·
I tried Ulead but it only allows 10 photos on the slide show. As for MS Movie Maker, I tried it but the show doesn't show full size photos and no music. Thanks for the attempts anyway. I'm still sure I can use one of the Photoshop programs. I'll keep trying.

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure that 10 photo limit is just for the trial version so people don't try to do their whole project on the sly eh? If you want something for free try Irfanview. I don't know if it supports audio though.

And WMM in Vista is more capable of doing what you're after but if not specified as your OS I assume XP.

Good luck.

#6 ·
Irfanview can do the slide show with music in background.
Download irfanview and all plugins from the website:
http://www.irfanview.com/
Install first the programme and then the plugins.
Open the programme.
Press W

At this point the slide show window will open.
Put the music file you want to play first. By default irfanview lists graphics so you'll need to use the drop down menu to select mp3.
Then add the photo's.

When all is done, on the bottom ledt corner there is an option to burn to cd or create an exe file. Choose what suits you:)

If you want to add text or lables to your photos, you can do that in photoshop first, save and then create the slide show.

It is important that the mp3 is listed first so that the music will play.

I did a trial run. It took 150 photos and created the file in under 30 seconds. No errors. I did have a few problems with the music until I realised that my speakers were turned off:) LOL.

#8 ·
Hi. Been experimenting since my last post.

You do not specify what your final output medium will be, i.e. do you only want something that can play on computers or do you want a disk you can pop into your dvd player and share with your friends as they sit around your TV drinking merlot?

If it is simply for computer output, then Irfanview will do the job quickly, no frills but you'll have background music and the pics will scroll by. You can save your pics as a stand alone exe file which works superbly. You can even save it as a screen saver, both work well.

I have also had a look at windows video maker. The only advantage to this would be the added benefits of titles, credits and transition effects. For ease, set the default time you want to display each photo before adding them, other wise you will spend hours trying to do so manually for each picture.
You can do this under
<tools>
<options>
-advanced-
Again this plays superbly on the pc. Unfortunately as far as I can see you can only save your work in wmv format which limits playback to windows media player. I tried my disc in three different dvd players, from the cheap and nasty to the very expensive, and not one could play the cd. Even a DVD player sporting the windows logo.

Now if you want to play this on a tv, then I think you will have to look at something a little more upmarket. But here is what I came up with:

Irfanview does have an option to burn to cd and create a video cd. You must have nero burner installed. I did a trail, but sadly could not get the sound to work:( This may because I only have nero express as apposed to the full version. The quality was not very good either.

I then tried the NTI CD & DVD Maker gold version 6, which was packaged with my acer laptop. This proved easy following the prompts, however the quality was very poor. It did not even look good on my 13 inch tv, so would hate to see it on anything bigger.

I then used CyberLink PowerProducer 2 Gold which came packaged with my LG external DVD writer. Here I hit pay dirt. It has a similar interface as windows movie maker. I did not spend time messing with transitions so I don't know if it has these. But it has three advantages over the other software:
1. Seperate albums can be made
2. A nifty feature which adjusts the viewing time of photos to the length of the track you are playing in the background.
3. It creates a VCD which will play in most DVD players.

You can also create rather nice menues and there are lots of other options which I never looked at. The quality was also not bad.

For these projects I used 150 photos so there appears to be no limit.
The average size was 30mb which is small enough.

I am not sure if CyberLink PowerProducer 2 Gold is easily available. I have used it to make excellent DVD movies in the past. As this is not the full version I would expect even greater things from the commercial product available in stores. So you may want to invest a bit of your wild life collection (South African thing, all our money has wild animals on). As for the version I used, it came packaged with my LG DVD writer.

Anyway I hope this has been usefull.

#9 ·
I plan to sit around the TV with my friends watching my photos of China but probably drinking Shiraz and toasting the South African cricket team. The work you put in was awesome!! Thank you very much. I'll let you know how it works out.

#13 ·
Here is where I went to create the VCD using Cyberlink Power Producer 2 Gold.

Produce Movie Disk
VCD
Location - Canada
Arrow - Next

IMPORT/CAPTURE CONTENT
-Actions
- Create Slide Show

Hoping this will get you started.

As I said previously, this programme produced the best results:)

#20 ·
Okay Ebony. Let us look at this from a different perspective. As we have already acertained, nti and irfan view are not what we are looking for. Power producer probably would work, but is expensive. The irony is I have three copies of the programme:(
What you must have is wmm, but it creates a wmv file which will not play on your DVD. So we need to figure out a way to convert this to some sort of VCD. I shall look around. Maybe some one will read this post and know how it can be done:)

#23 ·
Hummm .. PSE and APE are up to Version 6 & 4 now.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...adobe&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1186006593329
This looks like a good price ... ~$90 for both.
Maybe you can find a similar deal up there.

Never played with slide shows for a DVD player, but wonder if you used a wrong setting somewhere ..
which would the reason for your fuzzy output.

Did see in the Help file for PSE 5 .. It likes to have APE installed.

PSE 6 and APE 4 looks like it has about the same tools as the previous versions ..
but the GUI looks different ... (More Vista like)

#24 ·
Okay. Have now learnt more about slide show presentations than than I thought possible.

After much experimentation have come up with the following.

How to create a slide show for DVD output using 100% free software.

This is a multi step process.

What software do you need:
-Microsoft Movie Maker (MMM) Version 5.1 (2.1) - Part of the Windows XP service pack 2.
-Super v2007.build.23(July4,2007) by eRightSoft - Can be downloaded from:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/super.cfm

Once you have got the required software you can begin.

Open up MMM.
Ensure Tasks pane is visible. If not click on the tasks icon at the top of the window.
Set the time you want each slide to display. [tools] [options] {advanced}
Import pictures
Import audio or music
Experiment with transitions etc.
Save to my computer.

Second open Super. Use this programme to encode the wmf into a DVD readable format.
I got acceptable results as follows:
Select the Output Container - Automode
Preset profile - DVD - PAL(This works on my TV, but this is a regional setting so some experimentation may be required)
Drop A Valid Multimedia File Here - Right click {add multimedia file}
Encode
By default Super saves the new encoded VOB file to your C: drive.

Lastly use your DVD writing software to burn a DVD-R finalised disk with the session finalised.

Okay now I have done this and it does work in my dvd player.
All software used is 100% full version and free.

I recommened you are prepared to fiddle and experiment. There are lots of options available. I have tried to get a good result using the easiest method.

Super is a rather quirky programme. But it gets the job done so just ignore the various errors reported and click okay.

Good luck.

#26 ·
Couldn't find anything at russellbrown. I tried Elements again and set up the slides at higher definition. The problem is that when I load my photos into the slide maker they don't come out in the sequence they were originally in. I have them numbered bot Elements insists on putting them in another arrangement. I think date they were taken. I'm trying to find a way for Elements to accept the arrangement I loaded. Note to Caraewilton. Thanks for all the work you put in to solve my problem Right now my computer won't download MS Moviemaker. I'm trying to fix the problem and when I do I'll follow your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.