1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slight Problem with playing disks on my DVD/Bluray drives

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kuririn, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kuririn

Kuririn Thread Starter

I am having a slight problem with playing my disks on my Dvd/Bluray drives. I can play them but I can only do it when I use autoplay and then play the disk or when i input the disk into the a disk drive and it then autoplays what s on the disk.

The error that appears when I double click is:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed create an association in the Default Programs in the control panel"

Was not sure which section I should put this on but I know this error message (in general) and it mostly likely will work differently on a different operating system. I use Windows 7 by the way.

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me with this little error. :)

Below is a screenshot so you can understand a little better.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Check your settings at start/default programs.
    You can set defualt programs for different files
    and associate file types with programs there.
    More than likely you just need to set the default program
    to play the disks.

3. Kuririn

Kuririn Thread Starter

Thank you for replying.

I have you any the exact file extension that I will have to change. I have already done the "set deafult progrmas" bit. I am not sure if it .nrd file extension or another file extension to make it work. I just do not want to create more problems with the associations thats why I havent tried changing many of the file extensions.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you have software installed to play the disk,which you apparently do,
    Just set that program as default to play the disks.
    then,when you try to play them,it should run that program.
    Make sure to click set defaults so you can select the type
    of default media also.

If you want to play them in media center or media player,you
    may need a codec pack.
    There are several codec packs available for download free.
    K-lite and shark007 are good ones.

5. Kuririn

Kuririn Thread Starter

Im sorry to bother you again. I dowloaded one of the codecs and added it to the player i use. I use the stand Windows Media Player (version 12). I have made the programme to open up all the files that it can in the default programs.

I did this for the deafult programs and autoplay. I previously never had this error so I have no idea exactly what is going but I do know the programme isnt assigned to it (yes i know I am contradicting myself).

Sorry If I am sounding stupid but I cant find how to set it to defauly on a Windows 7. I know how to set the auto play but not when you just click on dvd itself. I can play the dvd/cd/blu rays fine but just not in this specific way. A way i can do this is by opening up Windows media player clicking on play dvd cd etc and then choosing the exact disk drive and it will play fine but not in the way I orginally explained.

I would love to have a walkthorough to do this though I know it will be tedious to do.

If you have any trouble with exactly what I want feel free to ask me. I know I may have not expressed myself very well. Sorry for not knowing how to do this simple stuff.

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Go to start/default programs.
    Click set your default programs.
    Click windows media player in the left pane,then click
    set this program as default.
    Next,click choose defaults for this program.
    Click the select all box at the top to select it.
    Click save.
    Then click ok on the last window.

7. Kuririn

Kuririn Thread Starter

I have done what you have said and I also did it before but thank you for trying to help. :)

Error still appears im afraid.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice