1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slight shimmer (?) when reading text

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cat_of_Ulthar, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cat_of_Ulthar

Cat_of_Ulthar Thread Starter

A few days ago, I got a video card update. I installed it, and since then I have a slight "shimmer/ghosting/don't really know what to call it" when reading text. I tried a restore point, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

The shimmer is barely visible, it just makes my eyes go fuzzy when reading text, especially black on a white background. It is hard to focus on one letter, as they seem to be hanging in the air in front of the monitor almost. As focusing on letters is what I do for a living, and I have to focus on tiny stripes of black on white (Arabic vocalization), it makes me not happy. I had this problem once before with this video card, and ended up buying a new monitor, which did the trick... until now.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 3800 series video card; and a BenQ G2420HDBL Digital monitor. Cables are all properly attached. I can't find this problem on Google. Any ideas?

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01

Make sure you`ve installed the correct driver for your system and card as the wrong driver can give you some weird and wonderful combinations.

You don`t say what system you`re running but try going into display settings on the desktop and choose `Clear type` rather than `Standard` and also adjust the refresh rate to see if that helps.

Jenny

3. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
    Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

4. Cat_of_Ulthar

I have the correct driver. Clear Type was enabled, I tried disabling it, but that's worse. I have the choice between 59 and 60 Hz refresh rate, I don't see much difference.

5. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Is there a way you can roll back to previous driver?

6. Cat_of_Ulthar

Smart thinking, Batman. I tried that, but it appears not to have helped. :( Is it not a driver issue? Then why did it appear when I installed the new driver? Looking very close at my screen, it appears that there is a slight shadow of about one pixel around the letters; especially bold ones.

7. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Any chance of trying another monitor or trying your monitor on another system?

8. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

How old is your card? Are you running DVI or VGA? I ask because I have seen some cards have a similar if not the same issue when running DVI but when switched over to VGA, they have no problems.

9. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

You could try doing a System Restore to a point prior to this problem.

10. Cat_of_Ulthar

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

- I tried my monitor on my old system: same issue

- I tried connecting via a VGA - no difference

- I tried a restore point, but that didn't make a difference either

11. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

If I'm reading it right, you mention you did try your monitor on your old system and had the same issue. This would mean your monitor is the problem and not your card.

That's a good looking monitor, is it by chance under warranty?

12. Cat_of_Ulthar

That would be nice, but it isn't any more... :( I did send an email to BenQ though, asking if they had any idea.

13. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Since it's not under warranty, if you feel comfortable taking it apart, look to see if the caps are going bad, bulging out on the top instead of being flat. If so, that could very well be your problem and replacing those would be cheaper than getting a new monitor.

14. Cat_of_Ulthar

Ehm. Notice that word on the right that spells Beginner? I had to google what you meant by caps even, to me THOSE ARE CAPS ;)

I will do that rather than buy another new monitor (I bought this one just over a year ago after I had the same issue with my old monitor!), but I'd prefer a less invasive solution. I'll hear what BenQ have to say for themselves.

15. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Sorry cat, have a million things going on at once hear and failed to see beginner on your experience. My bad. But getting info from BenQ is a smart move no matter your experience level. If they are willing to replace it at little to no charge to you (meaning only paying for shipping and handling) then go for it. Otherwise I, and I am sure others on here but I don't speak for them, am here for you to ask how to walk through it. Though I may not respond right away if you need me, as I said before, million things going on for me right now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064718