1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slim/Low profile video cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jrifle, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The power supply is only 220 watts, so it needs to be upgraded before you add a PCI Express x16 video card.

Here is a list of low-profile video cards.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

How much would I need to upgrade the power supply? (How many Watt power supply would I need? And would it fit in the case?

4. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

How many Watt power supply would I need in order to add on one of the slim video cards

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Realistically you'll need a new case, then you can upgrade the new power supply as this is a custom Acer system, and then you can finally add a video card.

You have the wrong system for gaming in general.

6. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

Is there any way then that I can just buy a case and put in the existing parts and add the new power supply and video card? Then start from there on customizing the rest.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, you can do that. Do you have a budget in mind? And what type of games do you want play?

There's going to be parts that won't transfer over or may not fit/look 100%. The card reader is built into the case, the wireless card is a low-profile card so you'll have to remove the bracket and use it without it, you might not also not be able to transfer the I/O Panel to the new case - thats the panel surrounding the ports on the back of the case, not sure if it pops out from the case like it would on a standard case and those are unique to the motherboard. Nothing make or break, I do believe the motherboard likely uses standard mounting points, but there's a chance it doesn't - thats the biggest risk.

Or if you ever plan to upgrade the CPU to a better model, this one is dated, then you'd have to replace the motherboard and buy a new copy of Windows. If thats a factor then you're better selling the computer as is and starting new.

8. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

Its mostly going to be playing Heroes of Newerth and Dots 2. Nothing too extreme on the graphics cards or on the PC. Tbh id be looking to spend maybe 500 on upgrading. Then will upgrade further in about a year. I just want something that isn't the onboard video for right now

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

http://blog.dota2.com/
    is the other game. Neither are very graphic intense and play well on medium graphics. I would just like to get to play them with better graphics before I can spend the money on building a new comp. So for the time being would a new tower, powersupply and then graphics card be viable until I replace the rest of the components. Also would a larger tower allow me the space to use a full size video card?

11. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

I would like to at some point fully customize a rig. Which is why I was wondering if the tower power supply and graphics card was a possibility. Then I would just build around the new tower and power supply. Thank you again for all your time in responding and looking into this.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, a proper case will allow you to use full size video cards.

So neither game is too demanding, but requiring better then your current onboard graphics.

So for a basic, entry level gaming card you could go for the the AMD Radeon HD 6670 for about $80($60 after MIR rebate): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125403
    That would exceed the recommended requirements for both games, if you wanted a better graphics then scale up from there to the Radeon HD 67xx, 68xx, or 69xx series or nVidia Geforce 450 and higher or 545 and higher.

For a power supply, cover yourself for most graphics and upgrades with one that will offer headroom and quality with a minimum of 500 watts, the Corsair Gamer or Enthusiasts series are highly recommended.
    Corsair Gamer 500 watt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139033
    Corsair Enthusiasts 650 watt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

And you can choose a case you like, I like Antec cases and have an Antec Nine Hundred.
    Here's some to look at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e&name=Computer Cases&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20

13. Jrifle

Jrifle Thread Starter

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, if you like the design of the case its a good unit. Personally I hate cases with doors on the front, they're just a pain.

Aside from the notes I made above, I think the rest of the parts should swap over OK.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice