1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slipstream xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SaintSatinStain, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SaintSatinStain

SaintSatinStain Thread Starter

i was told that one could create a 'slipstream' disc on which xp pro, sp2, and updates after are installed during installation. True? If so how? I reinstall my OS each year and it would be a blessing to install all at one time.

2. Claymore

Claymore

3. SaintSatinStain

thank you for the quick response. if I make a copy every quarter or so, I can be prepared for when Ms stops support. i see no need for Vista. XP is super.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Also, you'll be glad to know that Microsoft has SP3 in the works.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

And the next operating system, Windows "7", or "Vienna" is already in the works, so you better get used to Vista so it won't be so much of a shock to your system. :D

6. SaintSatinStain

my reasons for slipstream: one, i reinstall OS beginning of year so i have a fresh perky OS; two, i will not get Vista; I dislike Vista. I think that XP, SP2 is pretty good, stable, secure. Along with router, various ondemand scanners for rootkits, spyware, and other misc malware, a hardened XP Pro (no unnecessary services, safe surfing with Firefox -with CookieSafe, SiteAdvisor, and NoScript, safe email with Thunderbird, and no sensitive data kept on hard drive) with NOD32, Prevx1, and Sandboxie, and yes, the Windows firewall. If governments would leave Ms alone, Ms could build antimalware, heuristics, and virtualization in the OS. I have tested Vista and it is a pain in the %^%&^. I turn off the eye candy of XP, so why want an OS that demands more power resources. i am keeping XP Pro until i die, plus adding an Ubuntu machine. I plan to slipstream the last update sometime in the future when Ms stops support. i believe that Ms should rethink and continue XP. I found a site that continues updates for 98 so perhaps someone will do the same for XP. '

XP is superb. What will be in SP3?

7. Claymore

Claymore

8. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

I totally agree. I don't want an OS just because it looks "pretty". I turn off all that crap anyway. I spend most of my time looking at my OTHER programs, not the desktop. All I want from an OS is to be able to reliably run my OTHER programs quickly and efficiently. If I wouldn't use norton or mcafee because they are resource hogs, WHY would I want an OS that is the same?

The only extra thing vista offers me at the moment is DX10, but even that hasn't been so great, supposedly the current DX10 cards won't fully support the upcoming DX10.1 so people will require new hardware once again. Hopefully I can last until the next OS comes out, but who knows.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice