1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sloooow Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bluechips, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluechips

bluechips Thread Starter

It take about three minutes to boot to Login screen on XP Pro and when I log into the (Win2K) domain, about another 2 - 2 1/2 minutes to the desktop. But when I log in the LOCAL machine, I get the Desktop in about 20 seconds or less. Runs plenty quick once it's up and running. FAT32 disk and upgraded from Win98 SE. PII 400 and Intel BX board. Disk is SCSI running on adaptec 2940. I've seen this slow domain logon problem with Win2k Pro clients logging into Win2k domains also. No sign of this problem at MS support or technet. Ideas?

2. stephane

stephane

Is it an upgrade or install from scratch, what is your network card and do you use the network card drivers from winXP or from manufacturer ?

FAQ winXP in french : http://a.vouillon.online.fr/faq-winxp.htm

3. bluechips

bluechips Thread Starter

This is an upgrade (as I mentioned). The NIC is an Intel Pro/100+. The drivers originally were from Intel, but presumably the driver now is from XP, installed during the upgrade.

4. elsinaj

elsinaj

There are various reasons why the logon can get slow.

* Profile size
    When using roaming profiles the profile can become cluttered with all kinds of data, for example the Outlook Express folders,temporary internet files, favorites.
    All these things get copied when you logon to the network.

* lots of group policies which apply to the user.
    All group policies need to be parsed when the user logs on. So more policies means more time to logon. This can also explain why it takes so long to boot the machine when you use a lot of machine related policies. Those can install software, regulate security on the machine etc. when you boot the machine.

* Slow network connections.

* Long logonscript, or a logon scripts which executes a lot of external applications.

* A domain controller who can't handle the load.
    If I remember correctly there should be 1 DC per 2000 users, except if your DC performs a lot of other tasks like print serving, file serving, task scheduling.

* Misconfiguration of DNS, WINS etc.

I hope that I didn't state the obvious and that this answer will help.

5. bluechips

bluechips Thread Starter

Good answers elinaj. But here are some items that were not included in my previous posts: No roaming profiles. All profiles strictly local. Basic security templates [group policies] (from Win 2K) and a few extra security policies. No software installs. (All installs done locally on the machine.) Network is lightning, once logged in: Huge backup files fly across the wire, TCP/IP printing nearly instantaneous, connect to network shares like THAT (100Mb/s) Printing is direct TCP/IP. File serving consists of my files only, no other users using bandwidth. No logon scrips at all. The domain consists of One Win2k Advanced Server, 1 Win2k Pro client and this XP Pro client. 3 users defined in Advance Directory. DNS handled by DHCP on residential gateway (router). WINS not used. Netbuei not used. Only protocol installed is TCP/IP. Logon to local machine is comparable to time logging into domain from the Win2k client: about 20 seconds.
    Any other thoughts?

6. elsinaj

elsinaj

Hmm, That's fague.

I assume you have your DHCP correctly configured, with the proper gateway.

Is your "My Documents" redirected to the network?
    Do you have other shared directories which are marked as casheable?

A.J.

7. bluechips

bluechips Thread Starter

No cached (offline directories or files) at all. My docs redirected to second phyical hard drive in same machine. Yep, DHCP working properly. Machine is receiving IP, SNM, and DNS from DHCP server.

8. elsinaj

elsinaj

Hmm, I'm all out of options.

I'm sorry.

A.J.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice