1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slooow computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by steven sea, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven sea

steven sea Thread Starter

i'm getting a 199 rating from pitstop.com with unusually low performance on my hard drive. everything moves slowly, the clock loses time and when i go to defrag, it gets about 10% then shows "drives contents changed restart"
    pitstop says my my uncached speeds are .52 and .76 mb/sec and that software is running that is slowing things. my problem is i can't tell which of the 24 programs they list that are a problem. for example, what is "run a dll as an app"? some of the programs are obvious, but others i haven't a clue. i'm one of these people that knows just enough to screw things up. what should i do? thanks very much.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I hear more alarmed misinformed people referring to that website. You computer is fine. Here are several troubleshooting steps. I wonder why pitstop doesn't say these instead of wrongly alarming people into buying more RAM?

You must disable your antivirus' real-time scanner and the Screen Saver in Normal or Safe Mode (choose None for the Screen Saver). Or, Defrag/ScanDisk in SafeMode:

tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted)

First clean out your Startup folder - Start; Programs; Startup. Right click each item in turn there and choose delete. I have only 'swtray' there, the joystick driver, and it has to be there. On most machines you don't want anything in that folder.

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quoatation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. In color if possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice