1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slot 1 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vfwfw, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

I have an old Slot 1 Pentium III 550 CPU with a dead motherboard. I have the opportunity to get a Gigabyte GA-6BXE motherboard, however I am not sure whether it is compatible with my CPU.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

according to the manual for the board you want to get, it officially supports a PIII 550MHZ if it's the 100MHZ fsb version.

It unofficially supports the 133mhz version of the PIII, but running it at 133mhz will probably run the AGP bus out of spec (at 89mhz instead of 66mhz)

the board uses an automatic voltage regulator with no voltage adjustments.

there are also different revisions of the board you want and cpu support might vary slightly.

In short, it looks like it will work, but I would suggest a better board that can use your processor, which provides a more definite support for your processor.

You have to set the board dip switches specifically for your processor. and you have to set JP11 to 1-2 to enable fsb frequencies beyond 100mhz.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_GA-6BXE.htm

3. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I might give this board a miss.

How do I find out which boards are compatible with this CPU? Is there a certain chipset that I need to look for?

The manual on my dead motherboard (MS6168 v.2) states the chipset as a 440ZX AGPset. Is this similar to the BX?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most mainboard manufactures have a "CPU Support" webpage which list the maximum CPU a board will take and possibly the BIOS revision need. If not you can usually find this in product info or the manual(which you can download from the website).

5. vfwfw

vfwfw Thread Starter

No worries - I have looked through the manual for my old motherboard, which lists the chipset as a 440ZX AGPset – how is this different to the BX chipset? I haven’t been able to find any ZX motherboards, but plenty of BX motherboards. How do I know if my CPU will work on a BX?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the mobo is Slot 1 and supports the PIII 550 is doesn't matter the chipset - It could be Intel, VIA, ALI, or SIS - as long as it supports the CPU. The BX is an improvement over the the ZX chipset.

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

a a 440zx is as 440bx board.

You should get an Abit BE6II or another board with similar specs.

www.abit-usa.com

You can search www.pricewatch.com or google to find one at a decent price.

the gigabyte cpu support list is currently down.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/138896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice